Old 11-30-21, 08:39 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
I am running a out of the box SH4 that I tried to load Vers 1.4 into. Not sure if it worked. My real question concerns Japanese radar. Some threads say (as well as historical docs) their radar was not as effective as ours. But even on missions in 1943, it seems they spot me from a long way off - in excess of 3 miles as I am at 25-29 ft. Also, in the Map screen, when enemy ships get close there are large and small circles around the ships. I assume the circles indicate the area of their radar or spotting ability - is that correct?
Thanks

Ok, starting with...

The Pie wedge located at the ships Icon bow, on the nav map, is their... sonar. (if that ship is so equipped with that... iirc)

The... (for lack of a better idea to describe the next on the nav map here) what looks like "PacMan" swallowing the ship marker.... is the ships... hydrophone range... the "mouth" of Pac Man, as it were.. being the "dead zone" thanks to the ships engines... unless the go to a dead stop on the motors... which is the only way to overcome that dead zone...

& finally, that 100% complete circle icon, on the nav map (surrounding the ships icon there... ) indicates their crew's visual range line of sight indicator.... & for ships equipped with radar... not sure that there is a inicator for the range... just like there is NOT one for the U.S. ships/subs that have radar, either...

Hope this info helps...

M. M.