View Single Post
Old 11-11-17, 07:47 PM   #24
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
Aircraft in general use some kind of black magic to find you in the game.

I had a helo dipping at least 5 miles away while I crawled at 5 knots 600' down waiting to get enough distance to end the mission.
Completely out of the blue the helo dips right on top of me and drops torps. There was no way I gave myself away - I have no idea how he found me.
Helo and planes are I think your most dangerous adversaries in CW. Doing more single + campaign encounters, I find out that planes (and helos?) are equiped with MAD searching devices that is a device measuring magnetic changes. As far as I understand it, the detection from them is not related to your engine's noise but your movement in the water. In CW this device has a near 100% detection rate if the plane is near enough (how near, I must find out!). The only remedy is staying quiet at 0 knots and under the layer if possible.

As for Helos, they for sure drop dipping sonars in the water, you will see them by hitting F4, and if you pay attention, you can turn the 3D view around your sub to see the white entry point of these sonars, they are passive ones and not shown on the map. They must not be very effective, I once passed-by very near of one without being detected (because of no plane nearby that could engage me?)

Then, there are active Sonobuoys to make your life a painful one, dropped by planes, specs say they have a detection of 4k-8k yards, but their data is soon transmitted to the planes who will fly to you and drop - if not depth charges - other sonobuoys and you are go for a new evasion. I figure out that some MOSS tactic can perhaps make me get out-of-range of these buoys, else I see no defense against but remaining a sitting duck at 0 knots.

My prefered tactic against depth charges:
I figure out that being underwater I get more damaged even by charges that miss me directly, so I'm listening to the plane comming in (you can hear it even when you go flank at 33 knots), then I surface the sub hitting S for grand angle and ballasts to +30. On the surface at flank speed, I just have to care not taking a direct hit, a near miss will NOT damage me (very reduced explosion wave which is mainly headed downwards by bomb design). Ofc, you cannot do this if enemy ships are nearby...

For the moment I conclude there is no 'magic' but harassing airborne and sonar enemies to evade which do a fine job, much to my detriment

Last edited by XenonSurf; 11-11-17 at 08:16 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote