View Single Post
Old 09-09-19, 03:43 PM   #12510
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Periscope and binoculars magnification are set according to real historical data. You can boost this in cameras.cam file but this will probably mess up stadimeter and manual range calculations as well...Use binoculars (B key) for maximum magnification.
Okay thanks.

One thing that I'm not sure about: if the real historical scopes provided 6x magnification, does a "6x magnification" on a computer monitor actually simulate that to any reasonable extent? My guess is: no. Why? Because of many factors which can be summed up as: computer games can only represent reality, they cannot replicate it.

Not to sound like a whiney bitch but, just to put this concept out there: for something like this, a "better" rubric might be:
A. At what range under ideal lighting conditions could a typical 20/20 vision captain identify a target with a scope at maximum magnification?

B. It should also be possible to do that in the game; which may well mean that the "magnification" applied to the camera for in-game optics needs to be much higher than the actual historical magnification.

Again, not to sound whiney or unappreciative! Your mod compilation is fantastic. Just to toss that idea out