View Single Post
Old 08-02-10, 09:14 PM   #3
Tempest555
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 0

Thanks Bullethead on the color scheme info-yes I saw that article and also looked through various ebooks online with regard to torpedo development. I didn't see anything either. It has to be of European manufacture. IJN i doubt was not anywhere near capable of developing something like that at that point in the late 1800 to early 1900's.
Money quote from article Bullethead linked

"But the coming of the torpedo with a net cutter fixed in its nose posed a serious threat. Net cutters to deal with the heaviest mesh were of (1) the pistol type evolved by the French, which discharged automatically upon hitting the net, and (2) a scissors type as used on Japanese torpedoes to cut the net. The former worked well enough experimentally, but did not score much success under realistic conditions. The closer mesh of the later nets apparently defeated the scissors cutter, to such an extent that both in the German and Royal Navy's heavy nets were regarded as more or less torpedo proof. Elsewhere opinion as to the utility of nets varied between nations. France discarded nets; the Russians fitted them in some ships and not in others; for a short time they were carried in the Italian Duilio and Italia classes; and the Americans ignored them never adopting this form of defence"

hmmm maybe the Japanese did have a ace up their sleeves?
Eeerie-just like Pearl Harbor (surprise attack also) only with modifications to keep a aerial torpedo from diving to deep.
Tempest555 is offline   Reply With Quote