View Single Post
Old 03-20-13, 06:29 PM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Once upon a time, there was a game called Silent Hunter, derived from an earlier game called Silent Service. The game was focused on the USN Submarine Service in the Pacific. It was a good game for its time, thoughtfully researched, thoroughly tested, and very atmospheric. (Nothing says WW2 like Lucky Strike Green!) Then came SH2 for the U-boat crowd, followed by SH3. Then Ubisoft tried to put an American flag on a U-boat and sell SH4 with as little change from SH3 as they thought they could get away with. Thanks to the hard work of many modders, SH4 can now be played without too many jarring anomalies and malapropisms getting in the way. But, for atmosphere, it doesn't measure up to the original.

What I would like to see is a state-of-the-art ground-up remake of the original Silent Hunter. Get people who actually know something about the USN, the Pacific Theater, and US culture to design the game. Get a good development team to implement it. Test it so it will work reliably. That's a game I would pay good money for. "Cause it certainly hasn't been done.

Anybody with me?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote