View Single Post
Old 03-06-10, 11:42 PM   #254
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowwormGuy View Post
Ah, that's easy - and it's actually in Castles of Steel. The ships were manned by reservists and they were very old. Their main duty was to protect Channel shipping particularly the vital ships carrying men and materiel transiting the channel and as a bonus interdict any possible German merchant blockade runners and smaller ships off the Broad Fourteens but due to weather - this is very important in the book, it mentions how destroyers are sometimes forced back to base by turbulent North Sea weather while bigger ships take damage and burn up fuel - and mechanical issues - also very important! At any given date the Grand Fleet ships and patrolling forces might be reduced by 1 or more ships due to condenser problems, boiler retubing, even collission damage. Jellicoe's policy of constant patrolling took its toll on the ships and men but did maintain the distant blockade policy quite well! - the paper size of the squadrons at sea were difficult to maintain. So yes, 3-4 in rotation. Yes the HMS Euryalus should have been there but she had to return to port to refuel.

Best wishes,
Mountbatten
Thanks a lot for the information. It reminds me of the sinking of the "Hampshire", where the Destroyers turned back in the storm and were unable to help the survivors after "Hampshire" was mined (although in that weather they might not have done much good).

Anyway, I have made minor changes to the "Invincible", mainly adding crewmembers and part of the secondary armament. The hit boxes & zon file have also been much improved.

This evening I placed the model on land to simulate a shore target. The results were promising; after about one minute the hull stopped moving and no longer incurred damage from being placed on land. It should be easy to swap out ship parts for buildings and human figures - this means that bombarding airfields, supply dumps, and other facilities might be feasible.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote