Old 07-27-22, 12:53 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Thanks for the tips.
When you mean that I shouldn't use the "flight 1" stern plates of the Los Angeles, what version should I use then??

I have looked around in a couple of modelling websites and all 3 models can be found for purchase, the Typhoon is about double the price of the other 2, probably due to being rarer.

One thing that has made me not pull the trigger on this yet is that I have not invested in an airbrush yet, and I get the feeling that modern submarines are the sort of thing that benefit from that tool.
I'm going to wet my toes into submarine model building with a type 7 model that I have ordered from amazon in the meanwhile.
You'll know the right stern planes for the 688 when you see them.
The Flight 2 and Flight 3 versions use the "full" planes, the Flight 1 also used them for almost all of their time in commission. H-B included the single-piece, all moving stern planes that were tested on the USS Los Angeles but quickly abandoned for the larger version. The rumor was that the smaller planes made a lot of the crew more religious.

If you can find all three kits NOW, buy them. All three kits go into "not available" status for years at a time and its always a coin flip if H-B will re-issue them again.

The Typhoon is more expensive because its a MUCH larger kit than the attack boats. You'll see what I mean when it shows up.

Painting 1/350th scale kits is a bit of a toss-up in terms of brush painting vs using an airbrush. I would favor the airbrush for the Typhoon due to its size, but the attack boats are easily paintable using a brush.

Good luck and have fun with your project.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote