View Single Post
Old 08-04-21, 05:14 PM   #3564
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Facebook can be a wonderful thing. I recently posted in an aviation group my painting of Lt Alden P Rigby mixing it with German 'Bodenplatte' raiders. Then before I knew it I was being hailed by both his son and his grandson!

This has now been published on a large greetings card so I'm very pleased to be able to send them one each, since they are both avid collectors of anything connected with their illustrious relative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
^ I would say that is very top quality ole chap
Now you really are a desireable artist!
Quote:
Silver Star Citation reads:

For gallantry in action against the enemy, 1 January 1945. Lieutenant Rigby, with his Squadron, was taxiing down the runway for a take off at an advanced airbase on the Continent when approximately fifty (50) enemy fighters attacked. Although taken completely by surprise and handicapped by full fuselage fuel tanks, he engaged and destroyed one (1) FW-190 almost before the wheels had retracted. When his gunsight ceased to function while pursuing another enemy aircraft, he closed in and opened fire at point blank range, observing the plane crash in some trees. Returning over the airbase, he assisted a fellow pilot in destroying a ME-109 and then expended the last of his ammunition in shooting down an enemy fighter which was damaged and being pursued by two P-51's. The fearless initiative, zealous fighting spirit, and exceptional bravery evinced by Lieutenant Rigby in attacking such a vastly superior force is in keeping with the highest traditions of the Army Air Forces.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote