View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 10:58 AM   #739
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
OK I installed the Directx 9.0 installer and I ran the .exe only for a message to pop up, saying " You must be running Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server Family to install Directx9.0"
That's the problem with Win10 and those older "legacy" DirectX v9 run-time installs. It's not ~nice~ to try to fool Win10 Mother Nature! You can try to re-run the install for Steam SH4, though I cannot for the life of me remember if you can leave the tick boxes for the game itself un-checked and just do the DirectX and still have a game afterwards, because I think they un-install it if you do that... If you tick the box to re-install, it will then overwrite everything you have... Perhaps s7rikeback or THEBERBSTER knows how to get around Windows 10's refusal to run the Windows DirectX v9.0c installer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
I suspected that and dived to periscope depth.In the map it was shown as "sunk".Do you mean it dived?But I couldn't hear it by the time it "sunk"(or dived).In case it had dived,should I've heard it on my sonar?Do they hear me also?

I don't know exactly what's the situation in game with AI subs.
It might be that the particular sub you saw had been attacked by an Allied airplane, or perhaps it dove for self-preservation, only to die due to AI sub limitations... As far as I knew, the only AI sub that can "dive" is the Ko-Hyoteki midget, because we have seen that on another member's video recordings. I do have a submerged Jyunsen sub in the Roster, but it is not in the game... so maybe that particular submarine did "sink" in the literal sense, and "died" in front of you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehcl View Post
Hello, the mod is very beautiful, but I noticed a slightly annoying problem that other mods don't have. When the sea is rough at wind 15, the radar continuously loses contacts, is the mod set up so specifically or is it a problem? thanks.
When the seas are rough, the ship bobs about. The radar is a beam, emitted from an antennae mounted on a mast above the conning tower. As the sub bobs about, the mast "deflects" even more, and the radar beam then goes from being too low, looking at the water nearby, to "just right", shooting across the horizon, to being too high, looking at nothing but sky, ~plus~ if you have waves breaking over your boat, and the water hits the antennae, the game shuts it down - an "automatic" from the game, but FotRSU has it set to come back on... The dish still does not rotate properly when you leave the station, and we've been looking into that for a time... but losing the radar is a part of the game and the mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Opening/closing the outer tube doors was the thing, thanks.

I'm amused by how often I seem to run into Junsen-class IJN subs on my current March 1942 patrol, seeing as they apparently had a grand total of 8 such subs active during the entire war.
There are two "Jyunsen" models in the game, with the "Jyunsen 1" model, which represents six subs (I-1 through I-6, even though they are not all exactly alike), so are basically "Type J1 (I-1 thru I-4), Type J1 Improved (I-5), and Type J2 (I-6). At the beginning of the war, they all looked very similar. Then the JyunsenB, (aka: Type B1) which also stands-in for the later war ones, were odd-numbered I-15 through I-25, then continuous to I-39 for 20 subs. They were all over the place, and shuttled about willy-nilly by their "superiors", and had to radio in every night at midnight (Tokyo time) without fail, and get their orders for the next day, so were usually sitting ducks on the surface for their nightly radio procedure. The Allies had a good portion of the IJN codes, and could direct their submarines to intercept and sink the Japanese subs, and could call in, ships or planes later in the war... Then, dependent upon where you are in 1942 (Solomons especially), the submarines were doing food delivery service for the Army and SNLF... Not a good country to be a submariner for at the time... A good place to read about some of what they went through is Combined Fleet: SENSUIKAN!, while a good book is "The Japanese Submarine Force and World War II" by Carl Boyd and Akihiko Yoshida. Eye-opening stuff.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote