Old 03-10-13, 11:27 AM   #21
TheDude107
Seaman

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyDave View Post
Hi and thanks for the replies! In response to the questions you've asked me;

I'm trying to install an old version of the game on DVD that HAS Starforce protection.

I'm trying to install to the 'admin' (me) account.

My laptop is a Dell Vostro with i5 processor, 32 bit OS, Windows 7 SP1.

I did look through the 'Windows 7' support thread, but didn't see anything about not being able to actually install the game, only problems with running it AFTER install. I can't even get the installer to work.

A question I have about the Steam version - it was mentioned that the Steam version is without MOST of the compatibility issues. Can you provide more details on that please?
The steam version is $9.99(Not trying to cut out subsim, but digital isn't provided here?) and runs fine on a Vista system. Steam version is also patched to 1.4b. Another thing I like is that steam can verify the integrity of your game install afterwards to make sure it's 100% "clean". I've also tried it on my moms Win 7 laptop but not with GWX. GWX works fine in my experience as long as you have a clean install and install GWX as admin. Steam automaticly acts as admin and hates when you set it to run as admin!!!

DRM issues seem to be the problem so that disc will prevent you from playing unless you can fix the starfoce issue. An easy DRM workaround is to try an older disc drive. The speed of a modern disk reader when downloading older games, is usually un-recognized by the DRM. Also the speed at which your drive reads a disk will probably be recognized as a disk burner since the speed probably alot higher then disk drives of the era when SH3 was released.

I'd say try the DVD drive/other drive but I am assuming your computer only has one disk drive since it is a laptop. If you know someone with an older computer then try downloading the install files on that computer, and then burning the files onto a DVD cd with enough memory. (Protip: Your local Library probably runs with XP operating systems) This may help or you can atleast email the files to yourself from the other computer that succesfully downloaded the files.

If you go this route check the memory size of the whole game before buying the DVD's at the store. The standard ones come in a 715mb format which will force you to make two disk(and corrupt the install) for most games past 2008. And yes it is legal as of 2012 to make backups of items you legaly own, screw DRM.
TheDude107 is offline   Reply With Quote