Old 11-02-21, 10:05 PM   #293
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

1 July 1942
HMS Revenge torpedoed leaving Columbo

Bay of Bengal
After several days of maintenance, I reassembled a heavy surface task force and a CVBG to provide air cover and ordered them to Tavoy. The heavy task force was immediately attacked by a submarine a few hexes outside of port, scoring 2 hits on HMS Revenge. She's limping back to port and will survive, but will likely be out of action for months.

Hawaii and Line Islands
USS Pollack sank one of the coastal minelayers operating near Pearl. With all the minelayers I'm seeing I'm surprised none of my cargo ships or subs have hit a mine. In the absence of a detected minefield, I have no idea what these guys are doing.

I have enough PBYs online now that my concerns about the KB showing up unannounced are somewhat alleviated. But only a little, because he's penetrated my search areas before.

This is also a good time to mention another collection of task forces is headed to Palmyra to take it back. That is is happening at the same time as the Hawaii op is pure coincidence, it's been in motion for awhile in terms of just moving assets in place over a thousand miles of ocean after several of my key hubs were bombed by the KB. A smaller bombardment force is headed to Johnston as a recon-in-force, looking for a fast-reaction force of aircraft that might be moved to Pearl in a hurry.

Thailand
Even though I'm resting my Raheng CAP, the enemy still got fighters of mine to play with because they diverted from Moulmein. One fighter down on each side.

Sumatra
The Palembang CAP diverted to engage a sweep to the south, shooting down a Zero. But, they wore themselves out on the sweep so that when the raid came we had nothing to throw at it...66 bombers in that group with few fighters. Oh well. These bombers are just attacking a small delaying force at a river crossing adjacent to Palembang. I'm not actually concerned about it.

China
It got a little ugly in the skies over Chengchow as the enemy withdraws. 4 Lancers and 2 SBIII bombers down for us, 7 Zeroes down for him.

Strait of Malacca
The lone surviving cargo ship of the former Palembang-Singapore route was sunk by a sub trying to run supplies from Colombo to Singapore. A long shot mission anyway, but one worth attempting.

Caroline Island
USS Plunger came under attack by a Kate and a Dave floatplane outside Truk. The presence of the Kate suggests to me at at least one carrier stopped at Truk for maintenance/repairs.

Reinforcements
2nd Recce Regiment arrives at Aden - unrestricted armored unit--straight to Burma
We also got a pair of destroyed Dutch squadrons back, but we have no aircraft to outfit them with and I don't think we'll ever get more.