Old 04-20-23, 12:48 PM   #824
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

18 February 1944
Avengers sink two at Saipan

Strait of Malacca
HMS Clyde torpedoed and sank a minesweeper while transiting the Strait headed for Hong Kong.

DEI
We've commenced our landings at Koepang. Resistance is minimal--short range guns firing at landing craft, but nothing big enough to threaten any ships.

Raids:
Surabaya (night): no damage
Surabaya (airbase): 15 hits, 13 casualties
Koepang (ground forces): 25 casualties
Kendari (ground forces) 20 casualties

Our reinforced troops at Babo attacked, reducing enemy forts to 0, casualties 196(J) to 6 (A). We now outnumber them nearly 4 to 1.

China
Raids:
near Taiyuan (ground forces): 49 casualties
near Chengchow (ground forces): 15 casualties

Philippines
I've switched my attacks on Iloilo from dive bombers to heavy bombers. Hopefully this will push my troops over the top while my P-38 squadrons are recuperating. 304 enemy casualties today.

Marianas
The enemy moved fighters back to the Marianas to protect their convoy. Our first raid of 12 B-24s and 17 P-38s encountered 1 Zero, 4 Georges, and 1 Tony at Saipan. Due to being at lower altitude, the P-38 was at a disadvantage and we lost 4 aircraft with no kills. But the bombers still dot through, scoring three hits on two cargo ships, setting both on fire.

The B-24 raid was followed up by the USS Princeton, sprinting here from its patrol area near Wake. Princeton sent 9 Avengers with 11 Hellcats to Saipan. With a loss of 1 Hellcat, we again got the bombers through, scoring 2 torpedo hits (plus one dud impact) each on two ships (one of which was previously damaged by the B-24s). Both sank. There are at least 4 more ships in this convoy.

Burma and Thailand
The enemy put a CAP of 5 Franks over Bangkok, resulting in a fight with my P-47 sweep (15 aircraft). We shot down 3 with no losses.

Other raids:
West road (ground forces): 73 casualties

Land combat:
West road, Allied bombardment attack, casualties 166 (J) to 29 (A).

Reinforcements
No.7 Sqn IAF arrives at Gwalior
234th USN Base Force arrives at San Francisco

Last edited by Molon Labe; 04-20-23 at 05:20 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote