View Single Post
Old 12-23-19, 02:09 PM   #260
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
FotRSU full release. Started from Freemantle 7/26/42 on a new Tambor, upgrading from a Gar. First patrol was to South China Sea. On first 2, of 8 total assigned patrols, I sank 4 ships. Third patrol was to Gulf of Siam, then back to South China Sea, Gulf of Tonkin, Luzon Straights, over to Kowloon Hong Kong area, and finally to Sulu Sea, where I got low on fuel. No ships of any kind were encountered though I completed all of the 5 day patrols, but with no sinkings! Only occasional aircraft. And, I did look real hard for targets!
Proceeded back to Freemantle to dock. If the war had ended, no one told me!
Well, here is an overview of the general area on July 1, 1942 with the Convoys, Merchants & Troopship layers:

Notice that there are areas completely void of any shipping at all, and some areas that you can't help but run into something... Also note that the USN hierarchy was known to send subs to "dead" areas, thinking that the Japanese "must be using the resources there"... about all you'll find in the Gulf of Tonkin is sampan and fishing boats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
I had exactly the same experience early in my career (early 1942). Happened 2 or 3 times until I got a new boat. IIRC, it was in the Sargo class sub in the Solomon Seas to Bismark area out of Brisbane. Didn't mention it cause I was already complaining about too many other small problems.

Note to Propbeanie: I never do all those bad things you suggest. Always exit game properly, etc. Thanks.
OK, mikesn9 had a Tambor out of Pearl, you had a Sargo (maybe) out of Brisbane... The home ports are about the only places that there could be an AI sub conflict on the US side, so we'll start there. Thanks guys!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote