View Single Post
Old 11-18-19, 08:00 AM   #83
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Referring to "Using Radar_Sonar" under the Support Section of the Mod, I read on page 8:
"Unlike the stock game, the Ultimate SD radar will not show a detected surface contact on the Navigation Map. If one does appear, it’s due to either the crews "Visual" detection, or the SJ Radar use. The Hydrophone/Sonar will also show a detected contact on the map....but not the SD. As before, the SD will continue to show a plane on the map."

Why are surface contacts not shown on the navigation map? How is one notified of the SD surface contact? Are you expected to see it only on the PPI screen? Is one expected to manually plot SD surface contacts as they move about on the Nav map? As stated, stock game does this for you.

Also, which key-stroke brings up the PPI screen? All I seem to get is the A-scope with some kind of direction finder gizmo above it. I don't seem to be able to get a direct view of the PPI scope.
Early SD radar was only able to conduct an air search. It was not capable of "seeing" things on the surface. It also could not give a bearing to a detection, only the range, of which we have not figured out a way to emulate that, and not ruin other functions. The SJ radar was capable of surface search. The FotRSU radar set-up attempts to simulate a "sweep" and "decay" effect of the radar, as seen on the PPI screen, so if you are on the NavMap, you will "see" the dot or box of a "reflection" as the "sweep" passes over a contact, and then that "detection" will fade as the sweep continues. FotRSU also attempts to emulate the fact that the radar beam followed the "level" of the sub as it went through and over wave crests. In other words, sometimes the beam would be going high and over a "target" as the submarine platform (and attached antenna mounting) was put off-level from a wave, so you might not see a target each sweep of the radar antenna.

As to the screens available, using the bottom menu tabs, the radar button of course takes you to the A-Scope:

Once on that screen, you see the menu tabs associated with that view now highlighted:

If you go over to the non-highlighted left button there, that can take you to the PPI screen:

If the PPI is not available, it will not be illuminated when you get to the station, and the "Power" button will not function. Another way to do it, is to use the "J" key ( <J> ) from any station on the boat, and that usually will take you to the PPI station. A 2nd press of the "J" will take you to the A Scope, and a 3rd push will take you back to the original station, unless of course, you were already at the radar station. Be sure and consult the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" images in the 'root' SH4 install folder for other key presses available.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
The radar antenna was rotating at first launch on TC1, but after some TC X1024 it was stuck.
Exiting/re-loading solved it, but as soon as TC more than X1, it was stuck again...on deck view and external view. Set on continuous sweep.
But that’s old story as it never did it again after upgrading latest version.
Did you happen to notice Fifi, if that was associated with changing your station view, such as I found with turning the radar to a "Sweep" setting, and then being able to see the sweeps on the NavMap and make my marks, but as soon as I changed to a different station, such as going to the Bridge, and then back to the radar station, that the Sweep had stopped? It was set to the Focused setting, and the antenna was no longer rotating. But, putting it back to Sweep, the antenna would then rotate, if I went "outside" again, before going to another station... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote