View Single Post
Old 09-29-12, 04:24 PM   #64
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCCC View Post
Can anyone who served on a boomer confirm this?
Yep! Me, but you sound like you know more than I do due to my 41 years of being on my last patrol.

Speaking of my last patrol (that's what I named my submarine movie by the way) the captain and the XO both had to wear side arms after the message was intercepted.

The captain speaking in real life on the 1mc:

"We have just recieved a message from the President of the United States to launch missiles"

"Now man battle stations missile"

The message would be sent by the joint chiefs of staff through Colorado whatever they call it warfare center. The message would be sent coded in a regular UP/AP news release. Surely they don't do it the same way 41 years later, but that's how they did it then, plus a whole lot of bells would go off in radio which shared our same false overhead.

Sometimes (not always) but sometimes the captain would say this is a drill and sometimes he wouldn't. The other sonarmen that always got there late fresh from their six on twelve off routine would always ask, Is this a drill"?

Then we would all moan and groan and act like we only had 15 minutes left to live after being back tracked by Russian intelligence spy sat's in the sky. We could only make 25 kts an hour in those days and if anyone was looking for our signature on sonar we would stand out very clearly to an enemy sub looking for us.

Yes siree those were the days ...

Speaking about last resort however I really liked it ... i liked the seal team guy on the nato island doing his Clint Eastwood number on the local island sheriff.

The acting of Captain Chaplin, I think someone called him Andre, was most excellant. He made me sober too with a missile sent to Washington, DC, but made it land 200 miles off shore. bet that would piss off a couple of lobster fisherman.

I have it on my dish Hopper to record every thursday night as I watch NFL Thursday night football with the real offical's now.