View Single Post
Old 01-10-22, 06:43 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
That brings an interesting thought, I wonder how many players use the PK as a data acquisition (or I should say refinement) tool. That was a huge advantage of it, and a skilled operator could make adjustments to target course and speed on his own based on the differences in observed vs generated bearings and ranges and have a good solution after 15-20 minutes.

The Germans did the same but with the boat itself - they’d simply watch the mast tips and make adjustments to their own course and speed until the bearing didn’t change and the tips stayed the same, a procedure called “Ausdampfen”. Of course, the American system was superior in that regard as it allowed freedom of maneuver while the data-gathering was taking place, but still interesting that the preferred methods were in principle the same.
I will say, based on a decade or so (hard to believe) of involvement with SH 4 and Subsim, most new players do not use the PK, initially anyways. One is many likely do not read the manual, which if I recall provided a decent explanation of how to use the TDC.Those that do may be confused as to what it does or they get on here and some see discussion about the various "designer" firing methods and try to go straight to this, instead of learning the fundamentals. One reason in my forthcoming TMO Update, am providing more training missions on torpedo firing during new construction.

Like I mentioned in other post, the TDC and PK( esp if running the 3D TDC and Radar Range Unit mod, which is incorporated into TMO), provides the player with a great deal of functionality in the TDC and PK. Conversely, would say most experienced players do use the PK, as they have learned.

That is interesting about the Uboats, I was not aware of Ausdampfen, thanks for sharing that.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote