View Single Post
Old 02-01-22, 09:00 AM   #4335
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
OK, as a rule I make sure that there are no enemies around, sub is surfaced, reloading of torps is completed if any, batteries fully charged and sub is on straight course before I save the game and quit.
For 2 patrols now, I've suffered some light damage to the sub when I load a save. Nothing major, the damage gets repaired, no loss of hull integrity but I am wondering what is causing it since I'm not any form of combat. No aircraft, ships or coastal batteries lobbing the odd shell my way.
What's causing this?
As KaleunMarco and Mad Mardigan mention, it is an oddity with the game. I took an S-42 out of San Diego April 1942 last night to try an idea for conning tower upgrades (failed the test, btw). Somewhere off the Gilberts, I encountered a lone merchant. "Easy prey" I thought... Hah! I eventually missed with three of four torpedoes, most likely due to forgetting that I was shooting Mark 10s... - anyway, I did a surface pursuit, and attempted a running gun battle, staying 3500 yards away in an attempt at a close run-around while the torpedoes re-loaded... The gun crew got maybe four or five shots off, with one hit on the merchant, when we took two quick hits to the hull and had all kinds of damage and injuries (I mean, really - what are the odds??). We did a crash dive and broke off the pursuit. We had the usual sounds of hissing steam and water spray throughout the boat, to the point where you could barely hear the crew shouting about their damage reports. Pure bedlam for the next couple of hours. The merchant did end up sinking about 30 minutes later, so there was that, and none of the crew were "dead", but it was forever after we surfaced before the damages were repaired, and the crew recovered. Like maybe four days game time. After ALL was completed, I Saved and exited to do more "honey-do" work. When I came back to the game several hours later and loaded that Save, I about jumpred out of my skin as ALL of the sounds of the previous battle and damage replayed in roughly 15 seconds as the lights came on when coming back into the boat - EVERY LAST SOUND... The most worrisome one of course, is the sound of breaking glass and "We're taking damage, sir!!!" lol - Once everything loads though, all is back to "normal", and everything is indeed repaired still, and all systems functional - well, except the 32% Hull Damage, of course... - If you noodle much with the "Radio" on the boat, especially if listening to the "news broadcasts", you will always hear the last broadcast replay as the the game loads, and the same with the boat's normal radio, you will that "beep beep beep" of a new message coming across at times, as the game loads.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote