View Single Post
Old 04-18-23, 04:13 PM   #1
astanid
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default seeking advice for a submarine tactics game concept

Hello everyone, I'm seeking advice for a submarine tactics game concept

I have always been fascinated by the romantic aspect of submarines, but I'm not a big fan of complex gameplay mechanics found in simulators. I enjoy aiming, shooting, watching explosions, and sinking ships. However, I don't like spending two real-time hours navigating through the ocean.

I enjoyed playing Atlantic Fleet for the ability to control multiple submarines simultaneously in an attack. But the gameplay was quite unbalanced (winning with submarines was too easy). For a while now, I've had this idea for a tactical submarine game in my head, and I even saw something similar on Steam called UBoat Commander, but it seems like the project has been abandoned. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1503500

As a game developer with several successful mobile projects under my belt, I've been considering taking on such a project. However, I'm struggling to come up with an interesting and somewhat realistic gameplay concept involving multiple submarines in a sort of RTT game.
1 Real distances are too vast (hard to see the battle map and waiting for ship/torpedo movements takes too long). Would it be too comical to scale everything down?
2 Where can I read about real submarine tactics? Most information I've found is too general.
3 A significant part of the gameplay is evading pursuit after an attack. How can this be made interesting? If a destroyer detects you, will it just chase you down, and then you wait for an attack with a random chance of survival?
4 I like the strategic map in Atlantic Fleet (moving ships around and engaging in tactical battles when they meet) - do you know any similar games?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions. Could you also recommend any active forums where I could discuss this topic further?

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 04-20-23 at 06:41 AM.