Thread: I'm baaack
View Single Post
Old 10-12-13, 04:25 PM   #8
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0

Being an old salt, and also back today since a few months, I can't help but adding my (bad) experience today with SHO... Even though I was not too fond of the idea, well, you know, if you are a subsimmer, you'll eventually be interested in any new subsim. So I thought the thing should be rolling after all these months and why would I not give it a try?

So I looked up my old uplay account, logged in and pressed "PLAY NOW", and ... nothing happens! Tried firefox, then chrome, and nothing. I happen to have a virtual box xp setup and yea, it works there but (as you would expect) slow as a snail and unusable.

Well, seems that to run it in my linux system, I have to go through a quite long list of commands in order to set up manually google's flashplayer library, since for some reason it won't work. Damnit, it's just a flash web game! I've run LOTS of flash games,
and had never found this kind of problem... flash is flash.

I still have SH4 and SH5 running, with a lot of mods, in this linux box. I also play World of Tanks (what I have mostly played these last years). So, the little love I already had for SHO, plus this unexpected hassle, has helped me stay away from the "free to wait" model. I find it odd, and in a way, I find it as a sign that, as I thought, SHO is not for me!

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for the space to express it... I guess age is making me bitterer

Salute to all of you old salts!
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote