DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
+1
A simply perfect answer
All very cavalier; but does anyone know the min, median, mean, max and std deviation for identification range of a typical Kriegsmarine sub?

Thas what I'm talkin' bout.

Assuming a target with a reasonably high profile . . . 15 or 20 meters . . . what is the max possible (perfect clear weather 2 meter high observation point) sighting range for that? 15 or 16km?

Now the identification range should/would probably be broken into a couple components: (a) overall identification of ship type; (b) probable filters on nationality based on discernible ship silhouette features; (c) highly probable filters based on ship silhouette; (d) positive identifiers like the flag, or other markers.

I realize that players of these subsims like to bask in the glory of "realism," but if the design of the game did not take factors like the above into consideration then the effect of "realism" factors like imposing some representation of the actual historical magnification values on an optic will not (necessarily) be to create outcomes in play which closely resemble historical outcomes.

You can dismiss my points all you want, I'm not here to convince or cajole; just trying to provoke thought. The goal of these sims after all is to achieve the perfect balance between playability and realism, in order to convey the experience of being the skipper.