View Single Post
Old 05-09-12, 11:19 AM   #4
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dron22 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I just went and tried sinking the 3 Russian subs again with "show truth" constantly on. The Victor did launch counter-measures, but what do they do except attempt to lure your torpedo to home on them instead of the submarine?
Passive countermeasures cavitate and active countermeasures establish a closer reflective surface for the sonar ping. Both are designed to obstruct the sensor and create a cleaner return signal, masking the evading sub.

Quote:
The Victor stayed at a depth of 200 feet all the time, all it did is go full speed for a bit and then suddenly went to 4 knots again when my torpedo was getting close to it. Every time my torpedo missed it I used wire guiding to turn it around and try again, but it will not home on to the Victor. I even tried firing 3 torpedoes at the same time, but they all missed it.
This tells me that your torpedoes were set to passive homing and that the Victor went to silent running so as to not produce a clean enough signal to allow acquisition. Using active homing should make him sweat a bit more.

Quote:
Actually, the Akula II did try to maneuver as you said, it went deeper and then suddenly went up to 100 feet at the last moment, but the MK48 still hit it and it sunk.
Sounds like the AI made a mistake during its maneuvering. It only works if the torpedo is painfully close and one blows ballasts. Simply making a fast ascent at flank speed won't work.

Quote:
I like the campaign better in Sub Command than in Dangerous Waters, but I already encountered many bugs in Sub Command, so that's why I think a bug is a possibility here. I might not be a bug for this specific mission, but rather a bug with the Victor III class submarines being immune to torpedoes homing onto them.
I suspect that it is the homing sensor setting on the torpedoes. The Victor is detecting a passive homing torpedo and is going quiet to prevent target acquisition. I am almost certain that passive homing is the default setting, so this would be logical.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote