View Single Post
Old 03-27-23, 10:29 AM   #5347
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Just left Midway Island in Gato (from outside harbor) bound for Maple Grove at 0730 on 03-17-1944. Almost immediately after getting under way, heard two loud explosions in the distance toward Eastern Island. Observed two smoke columns rising from the NW edge of the Island. On closer inspection it appears to be coming from a DDE that is broken in two and burning! No obvious causes noted.

Noticed something similar (explosions and smoke) on leaving for the Carolines on 02/11/1944. I noted a destroyer-type firmly aground and burning on Eastern Island at the same location. Did not take time to investigate as I assumed the emergency services would be able to handle it.

You may wish to investigate further in case there is an unknown hazard at that location.

Thus far, I have not found anything close to running aground while looking in the ME, so I'm doing test starts to try to find the culprit. My guess is that two ships are on a collision course, and the one avoids collision by running aground. "Collision avoidance" in the game is sadly lacking, and begins to happen when the AI "anticipates" that two assets will pass within a given distance from each other (500m??). Instead of slowing one of the assets down, and doing it smoothly, each asset (in this case two ships) with their "independent" AI, will sometimes both slow down just before impact, or both assets steer to the same course, or both techniques are used, and the ships (or planes) still collide. Sometimes, they do avoid collision by one or both of the ships "backing" out of the way, in an attempt to find a new route. However, any "backing" movements usually involves improper rudder control and they then steer to inappropriate headings (the opposite of what they should do) and back themselves onto shore, into docks, or into other ships. I just saw another at Pearl Harbor the other day, and had to tweak a tug boat's start so-as to avoid having it pull out in front of a departing freighter. Very frustrating to make a harbor look like a harbor, yet not have the ships & planes crash into each other, or the "ground". This is probably why the Stock game had minimal movements in harbors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
My game is installed on drive C:\Game folder. My Document folder is on the D drive. If I put another Document folder on C (C:\Document) how can I get the game to put saves there instead of on D:\Document?
Using MultiSH4 v1.5 allows you to alter the Save folder 3-character "name" designation, but NOT the drive. That follows your Windows Documents folder, usually. You could move the whole "Documents" structure with the instructions as in a TenForums article (Win 11 link on that page), Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10, which you may have already done, but that does move the folder for everything on the computer that uses the Windows GUI for files - mostly... There will still be arbitrary times when apps & Windows itself will still use the original C:\Users \UserName \Documents location, and sometimes it will dump files and folders into the Root of the drive where you moved your Documents folder to, which can be very frustrating, and difficult to anticipate. Which drive you installed Windows to might also influence this. But setting a new path only to the Save folder for SH4, no-can-do, impossible without injection somewhere into either the SH4 executable file, or maybe the FileManager dll file of the game... the "path" to the folder is hard-coded somewhere in there. If you haven't tried MultiSH4, give it a whirl, and then look to see where your "unique" 3-character folder ends up being located. My Win10 desktop puts the folder on the same drive as the game. In Windows 7, it followed the My Documents location. Windows 11 is an unknown to me thus far in this regard, since my Win11 laptop only has one drive...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-27-23 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo fest... grammatical corrections...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote