finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiral Crapaud View Post
Hi there!

Well
Nagumo's decisions were not so much based on over-confidence than actual events hampering the proper executions of the orders - and random events allowing the events to flow like they did.

Had the Chikuma scout found TF-16 like it should have had it flown properly its course, Nagumo would have received a spotting report before he got to re-order a second strike on Midway. It just snowballed from there. But as long as objective #2 (neutralize Midway as a base) is the first objective because objective #1 (sink any enemy carrier) is disabled by the absence of any sighting report, you can't blame him - and you can't blame the AI - for acting on what is then actual knowledge.

Miracle at Midway is a nice narrative but it is unfortunately largely weakened as a reference by the digging that has been made since then (especially by the iconic Shattered Sword you probably have heard about). Sorry if I am to disappoint you on this, but I sincerely recommend to read Lundstrom Black Shoe Carrier Admiral as a good example of what result we're trying to achieve. And yes, "wet decks" are part of the whole affair, otherwise where's the challenge
Thanks for the reply. I was getting the Overconfidence angle from a couple things. Nagumo's decision to turn towards the American units and close the distance directly took away a tactical range advantage his aircraft had over the Americans. A turn back North east would have bought critical time in a moment when the pre battle assumptions were just turned on their head. My other point was that the Japanese could have sent twice as many scouts out earlier to cover their flanks and avoid the whole disaster. If you are holding back half your force in reserve to strike enemy carriers anyway....you might as well use some of those assets for a pre dawn launch recon. Meaning they get to the end of their patrol bearing at first light.

I'll have to check those other books. Thank you so much for making this game.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote