View Single Post
Old 12-18-12, 08:00 AM   #28
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
Scents work just like callers but their effect lasts longer. I do not use them but if you bowhunt it can be effective to move 30 meters laterally (to keep the wind favorable) then waiting. The animal goes to where you put scent down giving you a broadsides shot. It also helps somewhat keeping those pesky does from making a beeline strait to you and ruining your chance at the buck.
Ah, the does-after-scent thing I need to remember.

Quote:
Grunt and bleat caller have the same exact effectiveness for all deer. You have no need for both.
Thought so, but was not certain.

Quote:
Bear at Redfeather Falls can be taken fairly easily without bait, which is overpriced. The other bear map (Settler's Creek) is much more dense in vegetation so much more difficult. Walk high ground along rivers or the marsh areas to the West and North of RFF where you can see long distances.
Will check. Saw only one or two bears so far, and they all were already running away from me. Pretty much alarmed they looked to me, like coyotes.

Quote:
Shooting does and elk cows has but one purpose for me. They level up your rifles\bows which make them much steadier, and stay steady for a bit longer.
I did not think of that. Yes, the gunnery skill statistics. Okay, from now on I massacre everything that moves.

Quote:
The animals do not really have activity like game trails or bedding areas but they do tend to spawn in some areas more than others.
Well, I could swear so far that deer and wild boars tend to avoid open places at day and hide in thicker forests over midday, and go for meadows and fields at dusk and dawn. I also have not seen pheasants and turkey close to darkness, but only over the day. I also realised that some deer species - and I also read that - form different herds - some more mixed, others separate females from males, and other species tend to stay more alone and roam as nomads. The level of nervousness and alertness (which can also be pobserved in the binoculars, their body language) also is described to be different between species.

Quote:
There are maps at the community forum which diagram the more probable areas they spawn.
Thank you, I already had them. BTW, thy are not complete, in same places I spotted species that were not marked. But okay. I prefer to find that out myself anyway. I printed the maps just to have the orientation reference. I pays off to spend several sessions in a row in one and the same reserve, I would say.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Skybird; 12-18-12 at 08:34 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote