View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 11:39 PM   #21
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Like you, I also do not care much for highscores in The Hunter. I have simulated a day's roaming by having 3 sessions: From 07 to 11, from 11 to 15, and from 15 to 19. I use to set up a tent now at the end of a session - and starting right there again in the next. That way, I can wander for example from the very North to the very South of - what was the name: Whitesomething Island. Could be done in one session only when running in a straight line. But then you do not see any animals. The forests there are very nice, plenty of underwoods.

But of course I need to adapt to the activity time tables of the species sooner or later. A bear I probably will not get the way I play now, not without setting up a bait some days earlier. those beasts so far have only shown me their backs on two occasions, in another reserve, running, and from great distance. But I got one coyote, from a blind stand, luring.

I think the blind stands, especially the one on the ground and the tripod, are too effective. The callers are too effective, too.

A self-imposed rule I obey is that I do not shoot it if it ain't give me a score, that rules out all female deer already, and female turkeys. But they stay around, and I must avoid making them panicking, else they flee and make the trophy-carrier leaving Dodge, too.

But the best part is to just wander around, looking, staying hidden. It's like a mini-holiday.

Question, by your experience, what do you prefer, the Deer Grunt Caller or the Deer Bleat Caller? I think I so far missed their difference, if there is any. Should attract Blacktail, Whitetail and Mule Deer, but is there a difference between both callers?

Scents I have not used so far.

I hope they are going to implement night time, too.
Scents work just like callers but their effect lasts longer. I do not use them but if you bowhunt it can be effective to move 30 meters laterally (to keep the wind favorable) then waiting. The animal goes to where you put scent down giving you a broadsides shot. It also helps somewhat keeping those pesky does from making a beeline strait to you and ruining your chance at the buck.

Grunt and bleat caller have the same exact effectiveness for all deer. You have no need for both.

Bear at Redfeather Falls can be taken fairly easily without bait, which is overpriced. The other bear map (Settler's Creek) is much more dense in vegetation so much more difficult. Walk high ground along rivers or the marsh areas to the West and North of RFF where you can see long distances.

Shooting does and elk cows has but one purpose for me. They level up your rifles\bows which make them much steadier, and stay steady for a bit longer.

The animals do not really have activity like game trails or bedding areas but they do tend to spawn in some areas more than others. There are maps at the community forum which diagram the more probable areas they spawn. Or just look at another hunter's hunt listing his kills and click on each animal.....then on the bottom right there is a map button which shows a map and exactly where he killed it. Do this enough and you can see patterns.

Good hunting.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote