Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 11:30 PM   #18
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

There is a degree of complexity to hunting though. You can't just get a gun, camo, tree stand and go shoot a deer.

You gotta watch the wind, terrain, eating habits, trails, what kind of food is in the area, how the animal avoids predators and how it can detect you. Take normal Whitetail Southern Missouri deer that i'm used to. My hunting ground is a small mountain. If you don't get your wind correct, they'll smell you and you won't see anything all day. If i get my wind wrong, I lay in the rocks at the creek where they cross every night to get to the fields. I bagged this year's deer that way. You gotta watch all the time. They'll walk up out of nowhere.

There is a bit of a learning curve and it looks a lot better on paper than it does in the woods. Ive hunted deer, squirrels, and various birds for years. It is a wonderful sport and i think everyone should get a chance to try it out. Hunting is a great part of America if done correctly. In a game, you don't have to worry about the farmhouse where a man lives with his wife and two kids. This farmhouse happens to be over the horizon or behind the deer somewhere. You have to watch so you don't hit anybody or anything. In a game, there aren't usually other hunters. I had to pass up a deer last year because I saw the bright orange hunter's vest in the area behind the deer. A game won't allow you to shoot other hunters/people. (I have tried in several games just to see if i could.) I have played my fair share of hunting games. I have also shot, tagged, gutted, and eaten several animals of my own. Now, if i was rich, I'd sure as hell jump at the chance to go fly a P-40 over Guadalcanal. I'd jump at the chance to fly in a B-17 over Europe. The fact is, that stuff cost's a whole lotta money that i don't have. So, I settle for a semi-realistic simulator.

If hunting is unavailable to you, by all means play a sim of it. Sailing the waters in a German U-boat is unavailable to us, so we settle for a "close but not quite" representation. If you can't farm, and all you wanna do is farm, by all means, buy the sim.

Simply my opinion. I think computers live for simulation games. I can't get enough of them. I do have some complaints here and there...but overall...I am glad that every once in a while, I can just slap on headphones and pretend to fly a bombing mission over Europe.