View Single Post
Old 12-21-21, 01:43 PM   #4017
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default v1.7 First Try - Fail - CTD at 256x TC

Followed standard procedures: Deleted entire SH4 folder from Documents; Deleted the game from my Ubisoft folder on G: drive; copied a pristine v1.4 SH4 to a new Ubisoft sub-folder on the G: drive; applied LAA to new SH4.exe; Downloaded and extracted FOTRU 1.7 to the MODS folder; ran SH4 one time without the Mod to set sound and graphics (did not leave the Main Menu); then applied the FOTRSU 1.7 mod via JSGME with NO other Mods.

I love the fast load of the game and the career start. Started a new career out of Manila on December 9 in the Sturgeon. Got the mission to patrol just North of Luzon, leaving on 12/10. Got underway, set the torpedos and a course to the patrol area. Drew 10.2 NM Circles around Manila, Mariveles, and Subic Bay to know the boundaries. Set speed to Ahead Full and then I increased TC to 256, and BOOM - CTD.

Tried the mission twice after reloading the game. Same results, both at about 25NM outside Manila Bay (I'm guessing). The first time I had two programs running in the background by mistake. I shut them off before starting the second time but had same results there. Btw, both times i was in the F5 map view when it crashed. Did not observe any other activity on the map (Map Contacts ON).

I suspect TC, but my gear should be able to handle that and a lot more. Are you saying that I can no longer use a half-way decent TC? Or did I miss a procedure?

EDIT: I ran the exact same mission again, this time with TCx1. Again starting Outside the harbor, I let it run and left it for about 20-30 minutes (my dogs insisted I join them for a nap). I awoke as the ambient sound dropped to zero, and the screen black. So, it is not likely a TC problem as much as one that occurs a certain distance WNW of the West end of Corregidor. Using that as a measuring point I'm guessing I was about 20-30 NM WNW of the island when I got the CTD.

BTW, I really like the new ambient sound. That typewriter was driving me NUTS!. (:-D

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 12-21-21 at 03:03 PM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote