View Single Post
Old 04-16-22, 10:32 AM   #4532
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!HansGruber!! View Post
I'm struggling with awards in FotRSU. My understanding is completing objectives is most important towards earning awards. I returned from a patrol in March '43 (98/100 difficulty) where I completed 2 x 5 day grid patrols as well as successfully reporting multiple convoys which resulted in additional completed objectives for "Sink Enemy Merchant Vessel", "Attack Jap Task Force", and "Sink Large Troop Transports". All this resulted in the sinking of 129k tons including CV Shokaku. On return to port I receive a shiny Bronze Star.

I am enjoying the mod but this just seems odd.
That sounds about right. There should also have been awards and promotions for your crew, if you visited their section in-base. Awards are handed out like candy for your crew, and you can pick and choose which members are "deserving". Wikipedia says "The Bronze Star Medal (BSM) is a United States Armed Forces decoration awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces for either heroic achievement, heroic service, meritorious achievement, or meritorious service in a combat zone." They were not 'easy' to get. Of interest to SH4 players, is the fact that the award did not exist before February 1944. the Silver Star was created in August 1942, replacing the Citation Star.

Awards in the game are based upon points ~AND~ patrol rating, of which the patrol rating is composed of some rather convoluted math that spans more than one patrol, and attempts to "average out" your skill level (see Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements). One good patrol does not a career make, as was seen from several skippers during WW2. Since the awards are basically point based, you cannot award anything by "area of participation", such as the Philippines campaign, or North Africa, and you cannot award based upon time frame, such as the Bronze Star after February of 1944, or the Silver Star after August 1942, and have the previous awards "go away". Add to that the fact that the Stock game handed out CMOH like candy, and folks get the impression that they should get something every patrol. Whereas, fellows like my dad, who were of the mind that "it was a job, and someone had to do it", and did things that others would run away from - yet all my dad ever got was a field promotion and an Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal, as well as the Philippines Liberation Award and a host of "victory" medals, but nothing specifically for having done his job while under fire on an LST while doing the Leyte landings, or any one of a number of other chores his unit did. No Dugout Dougs in the US Navy, especially the Submarine Service, mister!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote