View Single Post
Old 11-18-21, 05:48 PM   #38
Efshapo
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego_gut View Post
In this particular case, the zoom ratio was 4 ( 1.5 to 6 ) but the field of view ratio was 4.22 ( 38 to 9 ). Since the graticle is just a 2d overlay it can't be accurate for both.
Hi, sorry to dig up the past but I'm doing some research about periscope fidelity in games.

If the magnification ratio is exactly 4 indeed, I think it's actually possible to get a graticle calibrated for both zoom levels. The field of view wouldn't interfere with the graticle use (it would just mask some ticks that are on the border).

The ratio between fields of view can be different from the ratio between magnification factors. It just means the vignette effect will be different.

Here is an illustration of what I think the observer would see:

Notice that the image disc diameter is smaller at 6x.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diego_gut View Post
What I did for DGUI was to use a 36 degree field of view for the low power, this way the periscopes can be calibrated at both magnifications. This is not historically accurate but I think it is more useful.
What you say is that you used the 6x 2D layout for the 1.5x mode? That would mean the in-game vignette is exaggerated for the 1.5x mode. Did I get this right?

Last edited by Efshapo; 11-18-21 at 06:44 PM.
Efshapo is offline   Reply With Quote