Grayback
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Melmacia
While on the subject of inaccuracy in naval movies, I wondered what the chances are of a torpedo hitting a submerged sub when aimed solely by WW2 technology sound location. When it happened in 'U-571' I didn't object too much - just another dingleberry in the whole pile of poop. But when it happened again in the respectable 'In Enemy Hands' it got me wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
I've never heard of anyone doing it in real life. I'd guess the chances are pretty slim, especially considering how many torpedoes missed when they were aimed using a periscope and the latest technology for the time.
It happened once, and remains the only time in History a Submarine has sunk anouther when both were submerged. Suprisingly though, there is very little on Wikipedia.

Quote:
The sinking of [U864] was unique in submarine history since both boats were submerged at the time of the attack. [HMS] Venturer detected the Uboat on her ASDIC and developed a good plot using the Type 129 ASDIC in passive mode - to transmit a ping would have given the game away. What Venturer's commanding officer, Lieutenant JS Launders, later described as 'the most shameful periscope drill' on the part of the U-boat, gave him two good sightings of the German's Periscipe. When Launders judged the moment right, he fired four Mk VIII torpedos down the bearing and was rewarded with one hit. When Venturer surfaced, Launders found oil, wooden wreckage and a large metal cylinder, later identified as the container for the Focke-Achegelis FA-330 autogyro: all that remained of U864
I somehow doubt that the depiction of a submarine on submarine submerged duel in U571 is anywhere near a realistic depiction of what happened for real
Well in -571, the attack began while U-571 was on the surface. Using "their" sonar the Americans were able to at least figure out the other u-boat's bearing (and given the destruction of the S-boat a minutes earlier, there was no question that it was in range and a good bet that it was near the surface). The tricky part IMO was a hit on a target bow-on.
Grayback is offline   Reply With Quote