Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 03-03-23, 09:55 AM   #444
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

New DLC coming for Call of the Wild on March 14.

Hunter Power Pack

Three new rifles.

.308 bolt-action. The .308 semi-auto is my most carried rifle. But bolt-action rifles to me are the essence of what a hunting rifle should be. I would expect it to have a longer barrel and maybe be a little heavier, resulting in higher accuracy and less recoil. The .308 is one of the top cartridges in the 4-8 class, matched only by the .30-06 for expansion and penetration (the 7mm is 4-9 and a class of it's own, along with the much shorter ranged .45-70)

7mm bolt-action. Being class 4-9 makes this cartridge the most versatile in the game.I don't use the current one as it is single-shot break action, which I don't care for. A magazine-fed bolt-action option is very attractive, but I would rarely to never use it for class 9 game like cape buffalo. There are better options for that. Not sure I'll carry this one much, but it will have it's uses. It would be a good option to carry in the Hirschfelden reserve. Everything is class 6 or lower, except the class 9 bison. Good cartridge for this map.

.338 bolt action.. Same deal as with the 7mm. Only current option is a single-shot break-action. Another magazine-fed rifle in this very powerful cartridge is a nice option. This might bump the .300 from my lineup. There's some discussion in the community about whether they will model .338 Win Mag, or .338 Lapua, and those are very different cartridges. Either way, it's a nice new rifle for the biggest game.

I expect I'll be using all three. Of all the weapon pack DLC, I think this one is most well-suited to me, I like everything in it, and that's not usually the case.

Finally harvested my first lion last night. I've made it a point to make the first one a top trophy, and I passed up many shots on lions to get there. This one was Mythical. Found him resting at 350 yards, but had to wait a few hours for him to stand up. When he did he started moving and closed the range to 180 yards where I took the shot. One lousy point short of diamond rating, but a magnificent trophy for the lodge.