Old 11-15-19, 08:09 AM   #56
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
@Propbeanie,
Thanks for the assist, you have given me enough to tinker. Am not particularly interested in the historicity (or lack thereof) of the surface sonar capability of the Fleet Boat family but do find the uber-sensor a trifle gamey. That said I never installed any version of RFB.

-C
You are more than welcome. The range you can actually "hear" a ship is compromised with the negative numbers, in that things in close are not tracked as well, so don't go very far with it. If you want to noodle with a setting like the sonar "height", you really should see how someone else did it. Have fun though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack345 View Post
Hey Guys! I have been playing the mod and I have to say it is really great! This has definitely pulled me back into SH4.
I made a short cinematic video to showcase the mod on my Youtube Channel and let people know about it...
Very nice! As s7rikeback says, "We may have to 'borrow' that"... Do you mind if we link to your vid in our Front Page post #4? There is a plan to do a different layout for that post, but we haven't figured out how just yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
I'm a recent convert to FotRS UE. It's really neat!

While moving around the boat, I accidentally stumbled on a map of the entire area of Pacific War along with all of the Japanese shipping routes pictured, including a ledger of the route names and dates. Would be a good reference if the game sticks to these major routes.

I don't know what I clicked on to bring the map up, but it was almost larger than the computer screen and one could move it about to look at particular areas. And once it came up, it was in fact impossible for me to get rid of it. I had to close the game to get out of it.

I remember I was moving about the boat, maybe in the captain's quarters or radio room looking around and then I must have clicked on something to bring it up. I looked in the F1 (Help Section) but not there.

Is there anyone familiar with this Japanese shipping map within SH4 FotRS UE? How does one open it and then get rid of it w/o closing the game?
Well, I found another two issues while looking at this, von Zelda... - But definitely one of the things to do while transiting in safe waters, is to roam about the boat, and click on things, explore. Print out the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" images to have handy for reference as you play. CapnScurvy kept up with those images rather well. It does show most of the available short-cuts, though there are some still missing, but I can't think of those right now...

You can get to the Radio Room either by 'walking' through the hatch at the other end of the Control Room when you F2 (it "keeps" where you leave as the "view", so be aware), or you can get there by use of the <Backslash> key ("\") found above the <Enter> key. You can also go directly to the Shortwave Radio and that map by the use of the "Camera" menu button, then clicking on the "Shortwave Radio / Convoy Map" menu button there. If you go through the radio room way, look over the radioman's left shoulder, there is a phonograph there that is a "hot-spot" you can click on to usually get to the Phonograph (mp3 player) / Conversion Chart, and then behind and above the radioman - if there is a steel radio box by the corner - that is supposed to be hot-spot to take you to the Shorwave Radio / Convoy Map. Not all boats have that. In a Gato (which shares its interior with other boats), clicking on the phonograph will take you to the Shortwave Radio instead. We'll have to look into that... Anyway, here is a Gato shot of the Radio Room, with the "phonograph" hovered over:

Click on the phonograph there, and you get this:

duplicate image ...

... Which is probably what you did. When you hover over that 'window' though, the cursor turns into a modified "X", with little arrows on the ends of its legs. When the cursor is like that, you can click and drag the map / radio where ever you want to put it:

Of interest here, is that most of the other boats "function as intended". In this case, there is no overhead rack in the control room of that particular model of Gato, like there is here in the Narwhal:

btw, do you know how difficult it is to take a screen shot and capture that "tooltip" text? Wow! It really should stay up longer, but alas, that's the 1024_768_menu.ini file. Other boats have those hotspots, where you use the overhead rack for the radio, and the Radio Room phonograph for the "gramophone". In the Tambor (Gar) and S-18 however, both "hot-spots" are in the Radio Room, with the phonograph taking you to the appropriate location, and radio taking you to the Shortwave Radio:

So, we'll have to dig into that a bit and get that sorted out to where the Gato and later boats have two hotspots. In the meantime, I was using the Quick Patrol menu to get to the different boats faster than the career menu, and I tried the 7th patrol, which is for the Triton, a Tambor boat, and that will crash you to the desktop, so that needs some work. There is probably a bad call to a ship in there, so that will be as easy to fix as the other two campaign assignment files are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi pb
Thanks for the reply.
Those mine fields look awesome, wow.
Peter
You are welcome! A skipper must have all of the info he can within an arm's reach, and even still, might not make it back...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-15-19 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Too many pictures...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote