View Single Post
Old 11-15-19, 07:53 AM   #55
K9us
Swabbie

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

First of all, having played this a couple of days now I just want to say GREAT WORK! In the past (few years back) I've only played with RFB + RSRDC, and a couple of weeks ago I got the Silent Hunter itch agan and looked into TMO 2.5. It worked great in the beginning, but around 1943 I started experiencing CTD almost constantly. While looking through the TMO 2.5 thread I stumbled upon somebody mentioning FOTRSU, and boy am I glad to have tried it out!

I don't know who's idea in your team it was (or which other mod it comes from) to actually direct other resources than the players own submarine to the major Manila confrontations in 1941, but I was pleasantly surprised for sure. I was submerged after having sunk a light cruiser, and all of a sudden I hear explosions. I've got the event camera on and get to see the US airplanes attacking the rest of the convoy that I attacked, as well as a Mk14 torpedo launched from another sub. This is awesome, and I haven't seen it before in RFB nor TMO. My experiences with SH4 has basically been like... okay... it seems the US Fleet consists of only one submarine, namely my own, and I'm single handedly taking down the whole japanese navy.

So yeah, again, great work, very immersive, and kudos all around.

Now, back to my minor issues with the map updates, which have become a bit more severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Strategic Map Symbols mod just replaces DDS files in one of the Terrain folders with new images. None of the others (that we had found in previous testing) should affect what you're seeing. Even replacing a given sound with something "custom" shouldn't affect that. The 60fps rate versus the 30fps rate should also not affect what you saw very much, if but for maybe 2 minutes over the course of 10 days. The framerate does affect the game's clocks though, but as far as I know, no one has ever accurately measured the drift, and usually speaking, the use of higher levels of TC affect even that, somewhat evening things out.
Very good information, the first thing I did before even starting a new game was to limit my max TC in the config files to 1024, for both stability and immersive purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
About the only thing that it could be, is the fact that you got there later than anticipated, either because of more submerged running, or from tracking a potential target. The "patrol area" circles show up and disappear based upon the calendar and clock, so some might be around for weeks, others are around for days. What a skipper could do when they get an assignment, is to draw their own circle for their patrol area, putting it on top of the green one the mod draws.
Yeah it could be that I've been submerged too long, and it seems feasible that the area circles are based on calendar alone, whereas the orders recieved are based on my arrival in those circles. I haven't kept a log of this, but since I've seen the issues reappear, and also gotten some really funky issues along with a few CTDs, I've started to log my patrol. Shame on me for not doing this anyway, I mean I'm a submarine captain after all, it's my duty to log things

So I'm in my S-boat, and I'm on the third assignment which is the Lingayen Gulf 10 day patrol. I've so far sunk 1 merchant and 2 cruisers in this area (the sinking of the merchant wasn't sanctioned by my commanding officers, I was told to retreat but I had such a golden vector to take out a 10,000 tonner full of oil). Totalling 30k tonnes of sinkage, and I'm now waiting for the 10 day patrol to end. I'm staying stationary within the green circle. Here's what happened next:

Dec 29 '41
~11PM: Message to refrain from use of Mariveles for fuel and repair due to jap activity.

Dec 31 '41
~1AM: Lingayen patrol area circle gone, but flag/star remains.
~3AM: Mariveles US port flag disappears from map.
~11AM: Lingayen patrol flag gone, getting orders to refuel at Mariveles.

I go to Mariveles at flank speed. When I arrive in the green circle (unfortunately I didn't record the date and time), I get an order to refuel and then proceed to Makassar waypoint, but since Mariveles US port is gone I can't refuel. Thus I now have an incomplete secondary mission.

At this point I proceed to Sulu and save the game somewhere in the middle. I get a phone call IRL and come back to the game at a later date. CTD when trying to load the save. An earlier save at Mariveles also CTDs. So I have to go back even further, to the Lingayen 10 day patrol, to my save after I've safely emerged from sinking the 3 ships and the area is clear of enemies.

At this point I realize that my savegames may be corrupt in some fashion since I've seen very strange behavior with a huge task force just north of Lingayen that was stationary, and attacking them with torpedoes did nothing. Explosions happened, but the ships were intact and they just stayed in place doing nothing. But I don't wanna backtrack or restart the game after such a successul first patrol with my puny S-boat. So I start logging everything, including when and where on the map I've saved the game.

However, after being ordered to go from Mariveles to the Makassar waypoint, and then proceed to the North Watcher Island "arrow", I don't get a single ship contact, and I get called back to Surabaya and manage to dock successfully, save the game while in port, and then successfully reload that saved game.

I'll keep logging in detail from here on out, and I'll make sure to not use any savegames that are near ports or battles.
K9us is offline   Reply With Quote