View Single Post
Old 11-14-19, 02:54 PM   #46
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
please and thank you! Just got a new rig with Win 10 on it and want to install SH4 but having difficulty finding Capn Scurvy's recommendations
In the Support folder are pdf files, including "01_FotRSU_TableOfContents.pdf", which is a "Table Of Contents" that lists several files. There are multiple links in those to other files and / or web sites for help. There is also a "01_FotRSU_Support_TOC.bat" in the game's 'root' folder that will start the same pdf. As for 'Scurvy's link, it is Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi guys
Just downloaded the new version and found your additional mods.
pic
pic

Looks like quite a dangerous mission not come across having to face mines before.

Peter
As with quite a few things in the mod, and Stock game, for that matter, the last sentence is for immersion early. However, there are mines in FotRSU, later in the war, along the coast, and around Japan, Formosa and Truk. The "easy" way to find a mine, is of course, to hit it. A better way is to submerge and use a partially raised periscope. We are working on adding "Mined Area" boxes to FotRSU, which will become a part of the campaign layer, but we have not gotten there yet. Some minefields were never found during the war, others weren't found until someone found them with their boat, a ship, or when an airplane was shooting or bombing a target... Do be careful on your approach. I don't think I put anyone purposefully into a minefield, but you might have to "dodge" one. They are placed across Bungo Suido between Sep 1942 and Sep 1943, and are generally with 30km of the shoreline, some having large areas to go around. The mines have been in the mod since Day One of the original FOTRS, and have "sunk" many a good skipper. The thing to do for now, is to open the Jap_Mines.mis file in the Mission Editor, and make note of where the mines are, such as:

... for your "target" area (I think... ??)

It is quite crowded looking on the map when you see them all, but this includes the anti-sub nets also:

Another thing to remember about the mines, is that they are not always set near the surface. In Fact, it looks to me that AOTD_MadMax was a tad devious in placing the mines at -35 meters in the water, such that his ships could sail "over" the top of the mines, thereby luring the unsuspecting skipper into a minefield planted near the 115 foot mark... instant "Game Over"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9us View Post
Seems to be a small issue with the early Manilla-based S-boat missions. After patrolling Verde Island for 10 days I'm sent to an area NW of Subic for another 6 day patrol. However, before this 6 day patrol is over, the patrol area circle is moved to the area at Lingayen, but no radio message is recieved, and the mission star/flag is still down at Subic. I have to stay for exactly 6 days before the star/flag is moved and the order is recieved by radio.

The only mods I'm running except FOTRSU is three of the four extras, namely Easy AOB, No Scroll Nav Map, Strategic Map Symbols, and my own mod that replaces the submarine diesel engine sounds to stock.

I'm thinking maybe there's an issue with the included Strategic Map Symbols? Or is it because I'm running at 60fps? (I can't stand the 30 fps sluggishness).
The Strategic Map Symbols mod just replaces DDS files in one of the Terrain folders with new images. None of the others (that we had found in previous testing) should affect what you're seeing. Even replacing a given sound with something "custom" shouldn't affect that. The 60fps rate versus the 30fps rate should also not affect what you saw very much, if but for maybe 2 minutes over the course of 10 days. The framerate does affect the game's clocks though, but as far as I know, no one has ever accurately measured the drift, and usually speaking, the use of higher levels of TC affect even that, somewhat evening things out.

About the only thing that it could be, is the fact that you got there later than anticipated, either because of more submerged running, or from tracking a potential target. The "patrol area" circles show up and disappear based upon the calendar and clock, so some might be around for weeks, others are around for days. What a skipper could do when they get an assignment, is to draw their own circle for their patrol area, putting it on top of the green one the mod draws.

In the meantime, we'll have "Fearless Leader" ( nothing derogatory meant by that, "Fearless Leader"... ) add this to the incident log, and extend the time the circles are drawn on the NavMap. Thanks for the report!
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
First, let me say I don't believe my problem is directly related to the Mod itself, but rather with the attempt to reinstall SH4 and then the Mod.

I took the following steps for the installation:
1. Deactivated all Mods in JSGME (not really needed, but no harm done, I think)
2. Uninstalled SH4 completely from G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter-IV
3. Deleted the entire SH4 folder from the Documents folder on my C: drive
4. Installed a new SH4 Gold with Uboat Missions into G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV
5. Reset all LAA entries to True after verifying it pointed to the correct SH4.exe (only have 1)
6. Set all folders and files in the game directory above to undo the Read Only attribute
7. Moved the SH4-FOTRSU shortcut to my desktop for easy access
8. Unzipped the new Mod using 7Zip into the new MODS folder
9. Activated the Mod via JSGME

Started the game with the shortcut - NOTHING!

Looked in the Win10 Task Manager - the game was running!

I can see nothing on my monitor.

I've tried doing the full uninstall of the above and installed a Pristine SH4 Gold copied from a previous directory on my H: drive. Same results. Compatibility Mode is for VISTA. I also tried XP. No joy.

I tried running the base game (v1.5) without any mods. Same results.

All my other apps seem to run just fine, including my old SH3-GWX. Only SH4 appears to run according to the Task Manager, but I can't see it.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

First thing, when doing the #6) "Read-only" attribute, do that prior to #5) using LAA, so that LAA will in fact write to the exe file's header. The way to check for success is to run LAA again, and load the SH4.exe back in to the applet, to see whether or not it is in fact set to true. For #7), I usually right-click on the desktop, choosing "New..." and "Shortcut" from the menu, then point that at the SH4 directory, so that I am certain that there isn't any "Registry" stuff that will direct the shortcut to the original install folder. But, I have over six copies of SH4 on my hard drive for various mods, and then I use MultiSH4 to write a Save folder for each copy... As for "I can see nothing on my monitor" statement, as per THEBERBSTER's "SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT..." thread, be sure and see "Changing the GPU Settings..." and "How to Change DPI Scaling..." - I thought he had one in there about Admin rights & Compatibility Mode, but maybe that's in another one of his posts... ??

In the meantime, the usual question: Did you install DirectX v9.0c and the Codecs? I'm not sure they'll install from the disk anymore in Windows 10, but you could also go to Microsoft.com's download section and try the "[url=https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429DirectX 9c Runtime[/url]"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote