View Single Post
Old 01-01-15, 03:15 PM   #10
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I read however that there may be some balancing issue, and would like to hear your opinion, Herman, since you seem to be quite engaed with the game, considering all those videos you did. There is complaint about the lacking efficiency of Western air defences, and the immense blow delivered by Soviet air power and helicopters. Also, while I know that the Soviet put extreme emphasis on extraordinarily overwhelming artillery barrages, I also read that the destructive effect of Soviet artillery is overdone. What is your verdict on these things?
I think that the issue, to which you refer, is the matter of testing standards. To his credit, the scenario designer has openly stated that he tested all his scenarios under the Unlimited Orders option. The complainants feel that the scenarios should have been tested under the Limited Orders option since it is the maximum level of difficulty. I agree with the complainants. However, the designer refuses to test any more.

Also, balance in FPC scenarios is ephemeral. With all the drastic changes between versions, the difficulty of the scenarios swings dramatically. For example, the strength of the artillery is almost like a pendulum. In v2.02, artillery was lethal. It was then emasculated in v2.03, returned to strength in v2.05, re-diluted in v2.06, re-energized in v2.07, and is currently neutered in v2.08. I find it quite laughable. Since the scenarios have not changed, these variances in artillery means that any supposed balance in the original scenarios is non-existent.

Some feel that the NATO air defence is weaker than it should be. I am not certain if there is much truth to this claim. The Vulcan gatling guns are not as effective as one might hope, but a mass of Bradley 37mm chain guns and .50cal machine guns can usually shoot down helicopters at a range of 1km or so.

I find the Soviet helos quite weak, myself. For me, they are very brittle instruments of war. They can deliver great firepower, but they often are unable to see the targets and thus will not engage. Ground units can often shoot several bursts at the helos without any response. Again, in v2.02, they were fearsome. Since v2.05, I find them more prey than hunters. I have to micro-manage the hell out of them to prevent them from doing something stupid. A new video showing some possible helo tactics is under production and we hope to release it this month.

I am glad that you seem happy with your purchase.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote