View Single Post
Old 06-20-13, 04:03 PM   #20
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I had read about the rooting procedure and the reflashing - technical articles of which I cannot claim to have really understood the implications, so there is too huge margin for something stupid that I could do by fault, and I will not take that risk. I improvised with limited starter knowledge on some computer things in past years, but here I see that I simply understood too little as if the risks can be confidently seen as "managable".

Is there any way in which I could ban app getting started by default when booting the tab? First thing I do is using the widget that lists running applications, and usually there is alredy Google Music or Goole-something running - I have not even mnaually used this so far. So I use the "all" option to shut apps down, then I use the RAM Manager, which after booting typically lists 570-600 MB used, and delete the memory there, too: and there comes the message that 50+ (!) apps have been shut down, and the RAM drops to 470-500 MB. Where can I tune the installed apps and mark them as starting when booting, or staying switched off until being called up by the user?

And is there any setting where I could rule that all apps I leave again, will shut down instead of running on in the background?

Some of the design features in Android really leave my with a risen left eyebrow.

I nevertheless tried again with Opera, this time "mobile". It is only slightly faster, but at least the synchronization with the bookmarks from my PC worked. However, selecting them by the menu is a multi-click festival. Two questions. When accessing the device via PC (USB cable), and scanning the folder structure, where are the bookmarks stored and could be manually altered? Second, is there any way in this or any other browser to make surfing a more enjoyable experience and bookmarks accessible in a comfortable, easier way.

The Google browser is fast, yes, but I have no love for how it handles. I just don't get it, it seems.
I don't think you can stop many of the default apps from starting unfortunately on a factory without rooting your phone. This thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...-starting.html has some suggestions however.

But always remember, many OEM applications and Google applications and carrier applications (though I believe your tablet doesn't have a data connection? This is probably not an issue) cannot be "banned" from starting. After all, where will they mine your personal info and sell it (just pulling your leg here, I'm almost 100% sure that Samsung or google or t-mobile doesn't sell your data, they have mine after all).

As for the browser, if you use chrome on a home computer, you can use chrome on your phone to sync everything. Other than the syncing, I find that the default android pack in browser is actually the best when it comes to performance (purely personal opinion, I don't have data to back it up).

When it comes to modifying folder structure and what not, I would recommend against it. It is pretty hard to figure out (I'm not even sure you can access certain folders from a PC to be honest), and it is way to easy to mess up.

When it comes to mobile stuff, these guys are who I usually go to: http://www.mobilenations.com/

PS: Skybird, if you want to use a good mobile OS, try Meego or WebOS. Unfortunately, both are effectively dead. I personally have a soft spot for WebOS. I would really recommend that if you are looking for a toy to pick up a WebOS device (you can probably find an HP Veer for under 100$, makes for a really good "semi smartphone"). WebOS is SO good, it makes android look like it was designed by a maniac, iOS look like it was designed by a monkey, and Windows Phone look like it was designed by a 3 year old. In fact, most of the good things in android only happened because Google hired the lead designed of WebOS.

Last edited by the_tyrant; 06-20-13 at 04:23 PM.
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote