View Single Post
Old 04-09-14, 04:55 AM   #4591
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default North Atlantic / Southwest of Rockallbank

8 Oct. 40, 0115, Qu. A L 8261, Wx: E7, Sea 6, cloud cover, <1000 mb, limited visibility. Detected HMS Ark Royal (91), hiding in outbound convoy headed for Canada - 18 vessels in 3 columns, including 2 American Ore Merchants. Ark Royal probably, looking to join Force H, which is suspected to be operating in the North Atlantic. Convoy also, covered by HMS Bonaventure (31) and one A&B Destroyer.

While shadowing convoy, was able to get as close as 1500m during night and 4500m during day.

I'm approaching the convoy from the port side. Submerged attack against HMS Ark Royal in the middle column, with a spread of two, scattering angle 1°, G7e, Pi-1 (G7H), K-b, Contact Pistol, Running depth 6.5m; Distance to target 580m, Inclination 80° to port, Target speed 6 kn, Firing angle 005°. Both torpedoes are hits after 38 sec.!

Just before firing a second spread of two torpedoes at a South-African Tanker, I have to dive from an approaching merchant of the port column. When back to periscope depth, the aircraft carrier has disappeared - I notice debris and survivors in the water.

As I am gathering the torpedo firing data of a large merchant in the stbd column, I have to dive again from an approaching tanker of the middle column. Too late, the tanker ramms the uboat, fortunetly, without serious damage.

The stern torpedo aimed at HMS Bonaventure, which is trailing the convoy, understeers and runs underneath the cruisers forecastle: G7e, Pi-1 (G7H), K-b, Contact Pistol, Running depth 4.5m; Distance to target 540m, Inclination 90° to stbd, Target speed 5 kn, Firing angle 020°.

This concludes the first round of this convoy battle...