View Single Post
Old 07-28-11, 10:29 AM   #3069
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

U-209 has had her best patrol ever (and I've broken two records in the game). We departed on our 13th patrol from St. Nazaire on 21 November 1940, and the patrol started off great when Small Tanker Rio Bravo (4,301 tons) was sighted and sunk (had to be a good omen when the first ship sunk is a tanker! ).

Over the following four days, C2 Cargo Noonday (6,446 tons), Small Merchant Meroe (2,343 tons), C3 Cargo Cordova (7,909 tons), Coastal Merchant Mona (1,977 tons), and C2 Cargo Twilight (6,451 tons) were all sunk.

Two days later, and U-209 is at it again, restarting things with a bang by sinking T3 tanker Athelprincess (11,654 tons) and then C-class DD Duchess (1,375 tons). Two days later, our successes continued, with Coastal Merchant Kara (2,044 tons), Small Merchant Ciltvaira (2,335 tons), C2 Cargo Shooting Star (6,452 tons), and Coastal Merchant Cavallo (2,045 tons) all sunk.

Returned to St. Nazaire on 5 December 1940, having sunk a record 12 ships for a record 55,332 tons. Upon arrival OLzS Suckel received the Golden Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds to his Knight's Cross, and every member of U-209's crew who had not been awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class received it. Also, the Weapons Officer and the Bow Torpedo Officer received their Knight's Crosses in recognition of such a monumental patrol.

Time draws short for the four officers initially placed under my command; their first commands are calling their names. However, I'd like to promote from within if at all possible, so I'm going to wait until some of my NCOs have enough experience to try this.

- OLzS Matthias Suckel
339,709 tons sunk
Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves, Swords, & Diamonds

ijnfleetadmiral is offline   Reply With Quote