View Single Post
Old 07-27-11, 07:04 PM   #3064
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

U-46 Patrol 9

Sept 9, 1940 Depart Wilhelmshaven 11:25. Carrying torpedoes, mail, and two "confidential" passengers. I am delivering 10 torpedoes to Lorient, therefore only have 4 at my immediate disposal. Passengers will be placed SW of Cork, Ireland, and U-46 will then proceed with all dispatch to Lorient.

Sept 12 Medium cargo sunk w/deck gun. 5100 GRT AM 14.

Sept 15 11:33. Two torpedoes for 2 coastal merchants N of Ireland. Combined total 3700 GRT. They sink like stones; no survivors. According to orders I have two torpedoes left at my disposal.

Sept 18 06:14. Reached SW position of Cork. Will wait on bottom for nightfall and drop off passengers and their "radio" equipment. Weather: no rain, light fog, heavy overcast. Perfect for stealthy operations.

22:28 Hydrophone check: nil. Obs scope: very dark, no moon, overcast. U-46 moves in. Have ordered total silence on board.

23:08 I can see the silhouette of black trees, a dark red/purple sky behind them. Thunder cracks overhead. Moving closer. Depth underkeel: 59 m. A nice gunkhole!

23:45 All engines stop. Water laps the side of the boat. Thunder continues to roll. Passengers depart boat with their equipment. We can sometimes see the shoreline and their small raft bobbing on the black water from the lightening flashes.

Sept 19 00:03. Passengers reach shoreline. Recognition/actionable signals exchanged. Good luck, boys! U-46 moves out of the bay at a slow crawl. Once we have distance we open up the engines and get out of there!

06:22 Use two torpedoes on large tanker, surface and finish off with deck gun. What fortuitous luck to meet this whale on the way to Lorient! Should boost our patrol tonnage a little. 10.700 GRT BF 13.

Sept 20 Have reached Lorient to offload much needed supplies for this new base. Hope to reprovision boat quickly and get back to the main convoy routes. Enough of this cloak and dagger and delivering mail!

Patrol result: 19,580 GRT

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote