View Single Post
Old 06-03-10, 08:17 PM   #7964
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Here's a dramatic yarn for you:

I was loitering off Cornwall, hoping to pick off some coastal traffic, when I got a report from BDU about large capital ships inbound. They were quite distant, but I decided to give chase. Several hours later I spotted a destroyer throught the fog ... and another ... and another! Obviously they were guarding something important.

Behind them loomed the "HMS Hood" and the "Repulse", sailing proudly in formation with some Dido class cruisers. I closed in on the surface until the Tribals got antsy - then I submerged. Two of them turned towards me and obviously knew something was up, so I didn't even get a chance to aim properly. It was "spray & pray" with a full bow salvo.

Amazingly, they were on target. "Repulse" outran the fish, "Hood" squeaked by with literally yards to spare. The light cruisers had nowhere to go and I got two strikes on one at the bow & stern - she sank within 3 minutes.

I got a pounding from the destroyers and crashed into the seabed twice, but I survived. Sadly, I didn't get credit for the kill because about an hour after my escape the universe crashed!

BTW, this took place in 1940 - if I'd sunk the "Hood", I think she would have gone down without blowing up & with rescue ships nearby, so I'd actually be doing her crew a favor!

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote