View Single Post
Old 05-25-17, 02:17 PM   #32
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
SSN isn't as arcade as it looks. When you go up against the more capable enemies like Akulas and Kilos it can be very challenging.
With that logic, Super Mario Kart is not as arcade as it looks because the Donut Plains track is very challenging.
I think this isn't how it works.
Arcade doesn't imply difficulty, it implies (lack of) authenticity and level of realism.

Quote:
Its main shortcomings were the poorly done surface forces and helicopters which always felt like they didn't have time to complete those features.

In fact, I liked SSN so much and it did so much right that it is one of the major influences on Cold Waters; the others being Red Storm Rising and Fast Attack.
Well that's your opinion and I respect it. But I sure do not agree, but that's of no matter, of course.

Quote:
Also, the reason the designations are not there is because none of the sub games that influenced us had them, and so it never occured to us.
What sort of reasoning is that?
"Let's not do something because the predecessors didn't have it"?
I really do not see how this is helpful when developing a title - but you're the game developer, not me.

Quote:
We've also had to shorten the unit names anyway to fit our minimalist GUI, and I have about 10gb worth of UI concepts to not want to redesign it again.
Well, that sounds more reasonable indeed. But is adding a maximum of 4 digits (space and 2-3 letters) really pushing the boundaries when we have platforms with long Russian Names instead of, usual, short NATO class designations, combined with the type designation (SSN, ...)?

One last question, is this moddable?
Can I expect to find the units in form of a text file which contains the data and info, along with the designation?
Because then I really do not care further, I have no problems doing want I'd like to see in games myself - if possible.