View Single Post
Old 09-17-22, 09:46 AM   #11
Tigershark
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Another thing to remember & bear in mind... that historically, they did suffer from some real bad issues with certain torps, heck... even the U.S. fleetboats, dealt with their own issues on the Mk XIV torps... & one other one, will have to Redig back through research... but... suffice it to say, that was modeled into the sim... I believe.

Though not greatly, as modders have had to iron & hammer those aspects out, to the best of their ability & quite well... I might add.

To the point that I've felt a great deal of frustration, watching a planned out attack, go to hades in a hurry, watching torps premature explode, not go off, run deeper than set... all those nice... loverly pains in the aft torp tube issues...

Main point is here... to keep that in mind, on why & how come it often takes more torps, than what you think should be used to down a target.

I will admit, when you sink a target, with 1 shot... or just the right # of them, that you figure it should take to do the job... it is a sweeeeetttt feeling.

Any who... hope this helps...

M. M.
I used to have a fair few WW2 autobiographies,some signed,until my wife decided to have a clearout & threw them away while I was at work,the books were by both British & German air & naval crews of many ranks.,they would have been worth a packet now.

I had one by Otto Kretschmer(u-99) telling about his combat patrols and U99's sinking by Captain Walker(RN).
I remember reading about the dud torpedos & how the crews were frustrated by this after stalking a convoy or single ship only for the torpedo to hit the ship and just banged against it.