Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Quote:
stock depth map which definitely was made by some Allies or Soviet agent

Quote:
It's a shame
Quote:
biggest failings

Are you sure that they could? I mean, not theoretically, but in reality? And if so, did they do it? Up to now, I´ve never read anything about ASW units that hear any pings from enemy u-boats. So I don´t believe that they did. Imho with good reason: They already had their own reliable sonar system. Why should the sonar operator waste his time for searching pings if he could get bearing and distance with his own asdic/sonar?

The really great Jerry Proc site

http://jproc.ca/sari/asd_gen.html

tells a lot about asdic, but no word is lost about enemy sonar pings. The only possibility I see is random discovery. But afaik, the german u-boats barely used their horizontal sonar (S-Gerät) because optical information was more precise at that time, and, well, the maps were good enough so normally there was no need to measure the depth.

Ingame, I Although use the vertical sonar (echolot) very often to get the depth, but always without another ship in sight. Then I plot the depth into my map, so i´m always aware about possible evasion manoeuvres. To be sure about the depth, I use the echolot when crash diving. At that time, the enemy normally knows my positon, so there´s no disadvantage when using it.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote