View Single Post
Old 11-14-10, 04:29 PM   #3694
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default USS Pompano (SS-181) out of Pearl

13 Mar 42, 0440hr, Long 125 50'E Lat 27 49'N
Japanese Merchant sunk: Hakusika Maru 8184tons.

Description:
On patrol in designated area of East China Sea. At 0400hr sonar picked up merchant closing at high speed. 0415hr sighted merchant bearing 035 on a course that would take her across our bow. I adjusted course to achieve as close to a 90 degree attack angle as possible.
Sounded GQ and went to periscope depth increasing to flank.
Once in posn, went to ahead slow, readied forward tubes 1 & 2. I was having difficulty nailing down the speed using manual TD so adjusted fish 2 to a few degrees left.
Waited for the target to close and at 1200yds I let loose.
1st torp nailed the target in the bow area but torp 2 missed the bow fwd by a hair.
The ship had slowed somewhat but I didn't want to waste any more torps so I surfaced and manned the deck gun. The bugger didn't want to go without a fight and their machine gun raked my boat despite my gun crew getting 4 good hits with the deck gun. As the target wasn't going anywhere soon I decided to avoid risking my crew and went to periscope depth and trailed the target as it zig-zagged in an attempt to flee. She was slightly down by the bow and making about 7kts so I let the crew load up 1 & 2 again while pacing the target and judging the time between zig and zag.
Once the word was given that they were reloaded I tried to time my fish to catch the ship on one of it's zigs. My first torp went behind but my second caught her midships as she turned to starboard. The merch crew wasted no time in getting to the lifeboat (we only saw one) and in a couple of minutes there was nothing left but debris. I stood down from GQ and resumed course on the surface and enjoyed the sunrise. I knew the enemy air patrols would be out soon so wanted to enjoy the daylight while I could.
First torp on its way;

2nd torp up the arse on the zig.

That settled the matter.....

....Crew getting the helloutta Dodge.....

...down she goes.....

...leaving little to mark the spot.

USS Pompano at sunrise the same morning. Enemy aircraft will probably cut short the scenic trip.

Last but not least, screwing around with GoogleEarth and the .kml file.

Last edited by tomoose; 11-14-10 at 04:53 PM.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote