View Single Post
Old 06-24-11, 03:51 PM   #68
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Nisgeis strolled up to the base of the Southeast guard tower and slowly, without a sound climbed the steps upwards to the ramparts. He saw Gefreiter Tinman764 leaning on the stonework, with his back to him, looking out towards the southeast to the point where the Britisher’s submarine was moored. Soon, he thought, he will be inside there examining every scrap of paper, every scribble, every printed word and every system in the sub.

His eyes flicked back to Gefreiter Tinman764 and gave him a thorough inspection. Examining the Gefreiter’s posture, a series of scenarios played out in his mind. A kick to the back of the legs to get him quickly on his knees and then a quick twist of the head to snap the neck, yes, that would be good. Silent and "hands on". His leather clad hands clenched into balls and then relaxed.

Perhaps a quick hoist to the belt, which would send the Gefreiter over the wall and plunging to his death. With luck the Gefreiter would not die instantly and would twitch for several moments before passing on, but would he have time to get down there before the end? It would mean crossing over to the main gate and out to the base of the tower, which would take some time. Ah, to gaze into the eyes of a man who is dying is a wonder in itself. What secrets are revealed to them in their last moments? When will one of them finally give up their secrets to me?

He glanced around, to see who was watching. The East Turret was a fairly well hidden, the parapets obscuring the view from the ground and therefore most of the castle, but it was still somewhat exposed. It would not do to have a prolonged struggle up here. Nisgeis’ eyes settled on the holster on Gefreiter Tinman764’s hip. The fool hadn’t even buttoned it closed and the belt it was attached to was slack about his waist. It would be no trouble to lift the revolver out without him noticing. But where was the fun in that? It was hardly a subtlety either. Perhaps if Tinman764 got in his way, or if he needed a diversion later, yes, that could be a useful strategy. A gunshot would be very noisy and would cause a lot of commotion, drawing attention away from whomever. A prisoner escaping grabbed his revolver and shot him with it, yes that would work well. Poor Tinman764 put up a brave struggle, the report would read, but the vile Britisher overpowered him and shot him through the head. Flowers to his grieving widow or girlfriend. A hero to Germany. A diversion. A pawn.

He smiled to himself. He had spent a few seconds analysing the potential attacks and was pleased that his first instinct was the right one. It always was. Quick, quiet and hands on.

Nisgeis considered retreating down the steps to make a more audible approach. He had spent considerable time and effort in cultivating a reputation as a somewhat capable - not too good, not too bad, yet clumsy officer. It wouldn’t do to get a reputation for stealthy approaches after all that careful work, but on this occasion he decided the wind could provide reason enough for Tinman764 to not have heard him approach.

“Good Afternoon!” Nisgeis called in an affable voice, slightly louder than necessary. “Very Windy, ja?”. “Not the weather for flying a kite in no?”.

“My dear Tinman, I really must talk to you about something, if you have the time to spare from your duties. I would be in your debt for the duration if you had a few moments of your precious time to spare to listen to me.”

“Now, I hear you have been talking to the Oberst about a Britisher spy?”