View Single Post
Old 03-27-21, 03:31 AM   #10
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Meanwhile, oh snap!

In plastic models, when it rains it pours. The price point for this kit should be less than the GWH kit above.* Maybe in a couple of months we'll also see the re-issue of the Revell kits if not a complete re-tooling? *

Andy didn't mention it, but Academy has re-tooled their old Buff from the same scale. The old kit had a LOT of issues in terms of accuracy, although it DID get the seat backs/head rests right, which they have now blown off. The only reason I harp on the head rests is that they are the one detail you'll be able to see through the canopy. Speaking of the canopy, Academy seems to have borrowed some ideas from the old Revell kit. The clear part is a very close copy of how Revell molded the windows, likewise it looks like they opted to "lean" the forward windows back a little too far. This is something you'll have to live with and at the end of the day and it isn't that much of a deal breaker. How that canopy fits to the fuse will be the crux of the biscuit. *
Maybe its the way Andy shot the video, but panel lines on this kit look wider and deeper than on the GWH Buff although this works better with those nasty vortex generators on the wings. It also features a two-piece fuse and vert tail. A bold move assuming they fit (you'll want to spend some time dry fitting these parts just to make sure). *

The FLIR turrets look like Andy didn't realize how important they are to this kit, they can make or break it if they aren't done right. Likewise, same deal on the tail and its Bobbit Plug. Drilling a couple hundred holes in a small part is a chore to say the least and could we PLEASE have the option of adding the old rotary cannon? Building a 1980's-90's era Buff adds a lot more variations in terms of paint and squadron markings. You know, you can sell more kits this way. *

At the end of the day, this kit will pair nicely with Academy's re-tooled B-1 and it should sell for maybe half the price of the GWH Buff. So, open up the options and people will want to build more than one. *

*- I'm guessing and I have my fingers crossed.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Look below the nose, under the cockpit.
Yep, those are the FLIR and EVS turrets and the sensors are in the DEPLOYED position.
I just ordered this kit from EBay, $47.45 total (inc. shipping from Seoul) and it should arrive sometime in April.

Last edited by ET2SN; 03-31-21 at 03:17 PM.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote