View Single Post
Old 06-09-22, 01:22 PM   #262
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I hardly think all western countries provide assistance after disasters and certainly not at the levels the U.S does. If you are saying otherwise, then please provide the resources from a reputable information clearing house so that your sources can be checked and verified. Just out of curiosity, where do you live ? I think we would all like to know that. If not the U.S, then where are you getting your information ?
I am German and live in Germany, but I have lived in Northern Ireland during the final years of The Troubles and the early phase after the Good Friday Agreement.

From the German perspective: the "Technisches Hilfswerk" (literally technical help service), a federal service, has served in all major crises in the last 30 years world wide. That's just one of the many services and organisations that have provided assistance internationally. Medical and social assistance in a broad variety has been provided by Organisations like the Red Cross, the Johanniter (Order of St. John), Malteser International and may others. German volunteer firefighters have taken time of their jobs to help in other contries, most recently in Ukraine.

A similar list can be put up for any Western European nation.

American help is all good and well, but there's no basis to the claim that only the Americans are the good samaritans and no one else is.

Quote:
With regards to the shootings and the armed coward knowing there would be resistance, how can you possibly know what someone else ( the shooter ) was thinking ?
How can you?

And there's far more that must be attributed to a person than just cowardice. Many people are cowardish, many people are afraid for a wide variety of reasons, and the overwhelming majority of those would never even think of running into a school and gunning down whoever comes across. You could have used "video game player" instead of coward, and it would have been equally misleading and incomplete.

Quote:
While you are on the subject, I think we would all be interested in your solutions as well.
Solutions? If I knew the solution I'd be filthy rich in no time. A complex problem requires a complex solution. A major overhaul of the society would help, but there's no need to tell me that's basically impossible - I know.

Limiting access to guns in a certain way (age? more rigid and more consequential background checks?) would definitely help and is possible without a prohibition and the realization of the American angst "they want to take my gun!". To my knowledge there's a vast majority of Americans who would support a limitation to access, even among the hardcore gun owners.
A limitation will not be the long term solution, but would definitely give relief and will save children's lives.

Not electing politicians who do nothing but incite hatred among people might also help a lot, but I'm brutally honest here: your political system is *********d.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote