View Single Post
Old 09-29-16, 11:46 AM   #17
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaop99 View Post
I'm in! hope will be like Fleet Defender, or their Atlantic/Pacific Fleet series, of course including BVR battles!
I still have the game Fleet Defender on my book shelf gathering dust. The computer that I played that game on is still in my possession. I took it to my parents house and left it out there. 386SX CPU and 3.5" floppy disk drive. I tried playing it on my HP Pentium CPU based computer using Windows 95 and 98 but never could get the Gold Edition CD to work with my sound card and that computer. I tried my best to get the config.sys and autoexec.bat files configured to work with this game. But I could not get them configured to load the game up on the CD drive and still have enough memory to run the game properly. I did manage to get both these old computer to run Pacific Air Wars so some extent. I could play the game in strategy mode but not really fly the planes well due to lag and the sound card and cd player's configuring problems.

I was able to play Silent Hunter 1 and II and the Destroyer Command games on my Dell Computer which had an intel 1 MHz CPU. It had a CD/DVD player and I didn't even try to configure Windows XP to run those old Microprose games that I loved.

I played all those old games on my Packard Bell 398SX computer running windows 3.1 and DOS 5 or 6.

Fleet Defender was one of my favorite even though it was never smooth and was laggy as hell on my 386SX computer. I tried to add more RAM but broke one of the tabs on the Ram slots that holds the SIMM Chip in place tight and could only use have the max amount of ram. I was thinking that adding twice as much ram would have helped the game run smoother. It had to access the hard drive a lot and that slowed the game down. If more of the game data was in the actual RAM I figured the game would play much smoother. To fix the problem I figured I would have to replace the entire mother board before I could get all the ram I needed . Those tiny black pieces of plastic clips were easy to break off the ram slot if one didn't know how to install the SIMM thing in the slot properly. That was my very first IBM type computer. Before that I played games on an Atari 800 and an Atari 130 XE computer and used 5.25" floppy disks. That system never did get a Hard Drive. And quite frankly I was not that aware of how much faster a hard drive would have been at the time. And I still have those two computers and the drives that went with them. . I have a hard time letting go of my computer stuff. Half my house has old software on the shelves and hold computers sitting all over the place.

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote