View Single Post
Old 10-09-17, 11:14 AM   #15
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Thanks for the reply, and a great, in depth reply is never a ramble.

My concern was pretty much what can we do about the Mk16, the WW2 era "dumb" torp that we have along with the Mk37 in the 1968 gameplay. I've used the Mk37 quite a bit now and pretty much have an idea what I need to do to make it work. Basically shooting at anything that can move over 22-24kts is a waste unless you're right on top of them and get your shot in quick and dirty, like if the target is facing you and would have to waste time and speed by turning away and running. Or as you mentioned by working up into their baffles at close range and firing from there. What I was wondering is was there ever anything done to make the Mk16 a more effective ASW/ASuW weapon, because as it is now without wire guidance or any control at all it is, as you had also mentioned....basically useless. The only way we can use it in game is play it like it was Silent Hunter. Forget subs completely unless they are on the surface. Without depth control it'll never connect. The only thing we can do is line it up from the periscope or on the surface and from maybe 1,000/1,500 yds do a straight in salvo shot. That may give you one, maybe two hits at most. If the torp is that useless in gameplay why did the game designers even bother to model it and put it in the game. I would probably guess because that's what the Navy had at that era in time, so we got it. OK, that's fine......only thing, it don't work!!!!

Forgive my rant. It's 0530 in the morning here and I still haven't slept, so Im gettin' a bit cranky. lol Thanks brothers.....

"CC"
Well I think from a realism standpoint the Mk 16 isn't all that different from the Mk 37 in terms of being a compromised / handicapped weapon. Much like the MK 37, in order to have any success with the Mk 16 you're required to do a very careful and precise attack. Both are low % / low PK weapons that make the captain jump through hoops in order to use effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
That sounds like an interesting idea. How about trying it with the Mk16 we already have in the game? It's useless anyway, maybe giving it a passive/active seeker that sniffs for a target, then goes active if it finds a target it can't maintain passively? Just a thought. I'm so dang frustrated with the Mk16 taking up space on my sub I could be using for salami and pickles.

"CC"
Well, there would be more than a few problems with trying to use the Mk 16 as an ASW weapon. Homing or not, the thing really wasn't designed to operate below 200 feet and AFAIK as of right now there isn't any way to portray this in game now (torpedoes don't have depth limitations).

What I have done to the Mk 16 though (will be in the next release of OAS) is add circle pattern running. This can work out to be a very effective "one-two" punch with the Mk 37. If you have a target (say a Riga) that you put a Mk 37 onto, in order to make him evade, other than maybe trying to set up a low % leading shot with another Mk 37, he'd pretty much be in the clear once the first fish runs out of power or he gets outside of its seeker range. Now in many cases this would put you in position to try a spread of Mk 16s at a nice, non-maneuvering target, but in many cases you're left with a horrible oblique angle-on-bow where you're only shooting at a small slice of the ship, which again greatly decreases your likelihood of scoring a hit. With a circle-runner, as long as the target isn't too far away (to the point that he can get out of range before the fish overtakes him and starts running its circle) you have a pretty good chance of being able to plant what amounts to a moving minefield ahead of him. Now obviously all this goes out the window if he starts maneuvering, but if that happens then there's a good chance the Mk 37 is going to get him when he starts making turns.

I'm not sure how many total / which mods of Mk 16 had the circle-running feature but at least two post-war straight/pattern running torpedoes were canceled at least partially in favor of just adding that feature to the Mk 16. As best as I can tell (aside from maybe a few test mules) circle was the only pattern on the Mk 16.