View Single Post
Old 04-06-21, 08:58 AM   #74
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
All I was doing is observing how, when the subject of going to alternative, non-petroleum-based fuels/propulsion is raised, many of those who oppose such alternates seem to be quick to raise the issue of lost gas tax revenues as an argument against the adoption of alternatives; if you are concerned about the loss of gas taxes, I would offer the possibility, among some others at play, of taxation of charging stations with the cost of the tax passed along as it is now done with gas taxes; I have noted, in recent months, a rapidly growing number of gas stations, in my area, installing and advertising electric vehicle charging station on their lots; it would seem they do, indeed, see the future and are wise enough to adapt rather than die...

As for who has raised preservation of gas powered vehicles foe taxation, particularly since a substantial bulk of the funds for roadways comes from gasoline taxes, you, yourself, in your post previous to my prior post raised it as a sort of argument:

The implication of your statement is the continued maintenance and possible expansion of the roadway may well be jeopardized should there be a decline in the number of gas powered vehicles; I did not intend for the statement to be seen as directed towards you, personally, but, rather, to what I have heard and seen in recent years in the the media when the issue comes up; there seems to always be some person, politician, or entity who will wring their hands over the loss of the 'precious' gas taxes; I am quite sure there will be some way to account for the decrease in taxes, say, perhaps, an idea like a tax on mileage to be paid for by the drivers at the time of their annual vehicle registration, an idea which has been floated in several states...

Still, it does seem amusing that a good many of those who openly decry taxation in general seem to find the need to bring up the loss of gas taxes as a crutch for their arguments against alternative fuels...

<O>
There is no implication. Tax dollars will be lost with reduces gas sales. What will replace it? There is no argument for or against gas sales and taxes. It is a question only. What will fill the gap?